? Spreadsheet Keeps Changing to View Only

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Scarlette & Fluffy, May 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarlette & Fluffy

Scarlette & Fluffy Member

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this problem but my spreadsheets were set up by me and they are editable by me. I shared them as instructed by putting the link in my profile. The link was set up to be view only for any viewers. For some unknown reason I cannot edit and update my own spreadsheet! This is extremely frustrating this happened before. See the following copied from earlier post a week ago about this:

This morning after I recorded Fluffy's amp reading I saved close the app. When I get his next test open the app the file said view only and I'm the owner it shouldn't have said view only no matter what I did I could not change it or fix it. So I tried sharing it to myself so if I open the link I shared to myself perhaps that would fix the problem. But it was unsuccessful. So I ended up making a copy of the spreadsheet with a similar name, then I renamed the original spreadsheet using a_orig after it next I went back to the copy and I made the name of the copy the exact name of the original and I thought since it was the same location that the link that has been copied into my profile would still work. but apparently it didn't. So I guess the next step is for me to go to that copied file and get the link and edit my profile with the new link and yes I did remember to go into the new copied file and share.

Is anyone able to tell me why this keeps happening? I do not want to have to keep going the long way around to fix this problem as mentioned in the blue text above it's very annoying.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...CatzTR9UyslMbgcWDiZGOSq7Wsg/edit?usp=drivesdk

2. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

This happens to me quite frequently. If I uninstall and reinstall the app, then it works. I have to do this a few times a week as a matter of fact. It is REALLY annoying but that's the only way I can seem to fix the problem.

3. Scarlette & Fluffy

I have an Android Samsung s10e cell phone that's the only way I can access this form or the internet I do not have a computer or Internet. So when you say that you have the same problems it sounds like that you are also having these problems on a cell phone oh, is that correct? I even restarted my phone and that didn't work so I will uninstall the Sheets app and reinstall it and see if that fixes the problem for me. Thank you!!!

FIXED
    I uninstalled the Sheets app and reinstalled it and that fixed the problem. Thank you very much! I guess that work around is much better and faster than the way I did it the original time. I very much appreciate your response to my request for help. Thank you again.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Are you are trying to edit your spreadsheet by clicking on the link in one of your posts? If so, I would try to open the spreadsheet from your Google Drive and see if it works that way. If it does, then just bookmark the spreadsheet from your Google Drive. I suspect that if you are opening the SS from one of your posts, it's treating you just like anyone else who opens your SS and won't let you edit anymore than it would let me edit your SS.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  5. Scarlette & Fluffy

No! I open my google sheets app specifically and edit from the app only. I never edit from the link.

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

This is a well known problem and although the creator of the spreadsheet has tried to get help from Google, their support is pretty lousy. It only happens when using phones/tablets, not PC's.

Some of the things that have worked for others are in this thread

7. SaraMV

SaraMV Member

This happens to me at least once or twice a week. I use a Samsung cell phone, and the only thing that works for me is this...

Hit the three dots to the right of "<your cat's> Spreadsheet".

When the option bar comes down, go to "Manage People and Links".

Press "Anyone With The Link", and select "change".

The option of "Viewer, Commenter, or Editor" comes up. You can change your choice to any of these (just change it to something different than what it usually is), and then immediately change it back to whatever it usually says.

There's something about resetting this option, that seems to "unlock" the spreadsheet.

8. Susan for Maus (GA)

Susan for Maus (GA) Member

I have to 'reset' several times a day. The fastest 'fix' I've found is to clear the app data:

Settings (swipe down, tap wheel)
    Apps
    Sheets
    Storage
    Clear data (clear cache no workie)

From there, III (recent apps) & the Sheets icon is usually on the list.

Seems like a lot of steps, but after a couple goes, it's relatively fast, but no less annoying

Google blames Android Android blames Sheets :blackeye:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.