Spacey's progress & some food questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Spacey & Ella, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Hoi and hallo everyone,

A couple of day's ago I wrote here (eum... the other, old board) because Spacey, my sugar cat, wasn't doing so well.
    A lot of things happened since then.
    5 day's ago I started to feed her wet food that wasn't Dr. Hill's m/d and progress has been made.
    I have so much different can food in the house, my husband started to get jealous. I'm checking her as often as I can and even bought a drinking fountain (that seems to stimulate drinking; don't have it in the house yet so I don't know...).
    Whenever I can I mix water through her food, so she doesn't get dehydrated and so.

She is doing better now! Way better!!! Walking in the way again, talking and demanding food... oh.. she's almost back to 'normal'. :)
    She is, however, feeling sick in the evenings. I'm trying Animonda Carny Seafood today (only 27% fat), hope that helps to calm her stomach. I guess she's not used to all those mousses and fish heads and stuff one will find in the wet food.
    She also still hasn't her tooth removed. The vet want's to do that not earlier than Wednesday, 13th of jan. next year.
    Till then I have to keep her stable.

Now the questions:
    1) Finetuning
    In her sheet you can see that her numbers slowly are going down. Which is good of course. But on the other hand... a hypo becomes also a possibility now. So I figured, that maybe I can give her (when her amps and pmps are low) still the insuline but food with higher percentage of carbs.
    At the moment I give her food that has less than 4% of carbs.
    So is it an idea to go to f.i. 10% carb when her amps/pmps is low and again to < 4% when they are bit higher?
    Does anyone regulate her/his cat like that?? Is it doable or are those percentages so low that it doesn't matter at all whether it's 3.5% or 9.8% or so...?

2) Animonda Carny Ocean
    According to the can's there is nothing in it that's bad. The variety with Salmon & Sardine f.i. But still.. when I do the math (which I do now with every new can of food that comes into this house) I come up with the following numbers:
    Total cals per 100 gr: 67,3
    Protein: 71,3%
    Fat: 6,7%
    Carb: 22,0%

Of course that puzzles me. Should I give her the food or not? There's no rice, grain, fruit, vegetable or else in it. Only fish.
    And still 22%.
    So.. throw it away??

3) Raw food
    In the past, when I was young, I gave my cat's organ meat. But the cat's I have now don't like it. I also read that it is better to give muscle meat. But... my anatomic knowledge of chickens isn't that good. :(
    What kind of meat are we talking when we talk about muscle meat?

Well...
    Btw... her blood test indicated that she doesn't have a pancreatitis. So that's good news. And more good news: they really really really like all the new food they get. And their fur starts to look different. Chewie isn't losing much hair anymore, it's all very shiny and stuff.

That's all for now...

Ella,
    Amsterdam

2. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Hi Ella -

I don't have any advice for the questions your asking. I am very interested in the responses to your finetuning question re: changing the percentages of carbs.

I'm glad to hear Spacey is improving. I hope she continues to feel better and you are able to figure out the tummy issues in the evening.

Keep it up Spacey!

3. Connie & Em (GA)

Connie & Em (GA) Member

1) actually when my cats have lower bgs i adjust the insulin not the food
    2) don't throw it away. Save it for when you have a better handle on how she reacts to food and different carb levels.
    3)raw food - http://www.catinfo.org :D as for "what is muscle meat" pretty much anything you'd eat when you sit down to a meal. Breast, thighs, etc. being obnoxiously simple, organs are in the middle, muscle meat is under the skin.

as for her upset tummy (and I missed the first post on the other board, so forgive me if my advice is off) but might it be the excessive changes in food? Cats who eat the same thing over and over often have major GI upset when they are abruptly change foods. Maybe sticking to just one brand/flavor of low carb canned food for a while might settle everything down, and give you more stable blood sugar levels.

(had to smile at the jealous husband comment. I love it)

Connie

4. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

I've tried today to adjust the food. But that doesn't work at all. So I guess that question has been answered and adjusting the insulin is the only right approach.
    I'll keep the food for emergencies or so... :)

About the tummy: I'm still not sure. It's painful for her to be touched at the tummy, she had an echo for that but nothing serious was found. But I guess the nausea can be contributed to the new food. She switched from dry m/d to wet not m/d with a lot of fat. So, maybe there are several things. And also, sometimes she is eating way too much, cause she likes the taste of the food. Well, she didn't vomit today. So there is improvement on that front as well.

So, chicken breast is muscle meat?? I'm a vegetarian myself, I really have no idea at all.. :(
    I only know that my little carnivores like to chew on it. ;)

5. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

I'm a vegetarian, too!

Chicken breast, legs, thighs, etc, is muscle meat. So are steaks, chops, roasts, etc.

Organ meats are just that--the animal's internal organs: heart, liver, gizzard, for example.

6. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Hello..I have added my thoughts with a *

7. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Thanks Kimmee. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.