Soc has pancreatitis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ilianna and Socrates, Feb 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ilianna and Socrates

Ilianna and Socrates Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/possible-ibd-please-help.242017/#post-2726858
    Hi everyone! My sweet boy spent the last 4 days at the clinic with pancreatitis...He had most of the sympoms described here : https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/a-primer-on-pancreatitis.83108/
    He was scheduled for colonoscopy on Monday but he wasn't well and I took him to the vet. He had iv treatment and came home this afternoon.He is out of danger the doctor said ,but I must keep an eye on him!! Some days before his BG was very high and tonight was also 486. I understand this is because of the inflamation,but I am worried since the vet prescribed no medication for the moment..

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear your kitty has pancreatitis, poor baby.
    I don't have any experience with it, just a suggestion to get more eyes on it

Maybe add to your title need advice
    I hope he feels better :bighug::bighug:
    @Ilianna and Socrates

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    Ilianna and Socrates likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Ilianna,

I'm sorry to hear that Socrates has pancreatitis. :( (((Socrates)))

I learned a great deal about how to manage Saoirse's pancreatitis from these resources:

IDEXX Feline Pancreatitis Treatment Guidelines (good one to use for discussions with vets - IDEXX labs are highly authoritative in this field).

Nausea, vomiting and appetite problems - symptoms and treatments (some overlap with the IDEXX document but also much practical advice and info on complementary treatments like slippery elm).

Persuading Your Cat to Eat (lots of practical suggestions on how to encourage a cat to eat when it's got GI issues going on).

Suggestions on How to Stimulate a Cat's Appetite (ditto).

I hope that they might be of some help for your precious boy.

:bighug:

Mogs

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

PS: If he's still having any difficulty eating or if he looks uncomfortable/hides after eating, I recommend going back to the vet for anti-nausea and pain meds (refer vet to the the IDEXX document). FYI, pain from the pancreatitis, as well as the inflammation, can elevate BG levels.

(((Socrates)))

Mogs

Ilianna and Socrates likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.