Skipped dose result. Food- too much liver in daily food?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by JulieL, Apr 11, 2024.

1. JulieL

JulieL Member

Liberty has been on 0.25 dose since mid February, and he’s been pretty consistently in the greens. (My 0.25 dose is actually 1.5 drops as I have checked and measured my dosing).
    I have two questions…do I need to make any changes or try to see what he would do on his own (OTJ) or just keep things as they are?

My second question… I have to go out of town for the day on Saturday and will not be home for his PM shot. My husband will be here and is willing to learn to give the shot, but he is nervous. We’ve practiced drawing up the tiny dose, but he’s not consistent, and he hasn’t done an injection. Liberty doesn’t have loose skin and it’s tricky to get a nice “tent”. So, I’m wondering if skipping his PM shot would be an option? Trying to weigh my options and reduce stress to both Liberty and my husband, lol!

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi Julie! I’m sorry for not getting back with you sooner on Liberty’s progress. Liberty is doing so well on the .25 dose. If you are really uncomfortable about your husband giving the p.m. dose on Saturday night, I don’t think it will hurt him if you just skipped that night. It would be very good, though, if you could get a few tests that evening to see what happens with the skipped shot.

JulieL likes this.
  3. JulieL

JulieL Member

He’s great at testing! I also just talked to him (he gets back in town today) and he wants to practice giving the shot tonight and tomorrow so we can see how he (and Liberty!) does. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  4. Suzanne & Darcy

Have y’all ever tried shooting in a different area than the scruff? Or have you tried the roll method? I never did, but some people like shooting in different areas and find they get better absorption of the insulin.

5. JulieL

JulieL Member

I tried the roll method, but I wasn’t a fan of that, and Liberty winced. I avoid the scruff area and seem to get better absorption if I shoot more on his sides. Recently though I’ve been shooting closer to the scruff and it seems his numbers have been slightly higher, so I think I’ll try some different locations to see if there’s a difference.

6. JulieL

JulieL Member

We decided to skip the PM shot last night. He stayed in the greens and AMPS this morning was 111 (a pretty typical PS number). I was curious to see what his numbers would be.

On another note- food question. Liberty has been eating FF pate Turkey and Giblets exclusively. It has a lower (but not as low as I would like) phosphorus content than the other flavors (except the Savory Salmon , but I limit fish). Second ingredient on the Turkey and Giblet is liver, so now I’m wondering if he’s getting too much liver. So, my question is- should I be concerned about the amount of liver he is eating?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
  7. Suzanne & Darcy

Hi there! About the liver, cat nutrition guru Dr. Lisa
    Pierson on her catinfo.org website says:

“Avoid foods listing “liver” as a first ingredient. (Example: Purina’s prescription diet DM canned for feline diabetic patients. There are far better options available that are healthier and not as expensive.)

Liver is a very nutritious organ meat – and should be present in small amounts – but it should never be the first ingredient as it is very high in vitamin A and possibly D and you don’t want to feed too much of those vitamins. Liver is cheaper than muscle meat so it will increase a company’s profit margin when used in high amounts.”

8. Suzanne & Darcy

He did extremely well the night you skipped his shot!! :)

JulieL likes this.
  9. JulieL

JulieL Member

Yes, I was pretty happy about that! Do you think we should see how he does on one drop dose? (My 0.25 dose is 1.5 drops) Or do we just maintain the 0.25 dose?

10. Suzanne & Darcy

I have been thinking about this for a few weeks now as I have been studying Liberty’s spreadsheet. I very much would like to see how he would do on a one drop dose. It’s good that you have measured out your .25 dose. Do you feel confident in drawing a one drop dose? We recommend inserting the syringe into the vial with the plunger depressed and then let it go so that the syringe will draw in a drop of insulin. You can test it out to see if you can get a drop in by that method.

JulieL likes this.
  11. Suzanne & Darcy

JulieL likes this.
  12. Suzanne & Darcy

JulieL likes this.
  13. JulieL

JulieL Member

I’ve got the Weruva BFF Topsy Turvy and Take a Chance that I have been slowly adding. The carbs are a bit higher (5%) than the FF (2%). I wondered if the slightly higher carbs will affect his BG but testing will tell. Although if I also drop his dose to 1 drop at the same time it will be hard to know. Hmmm. I’d really like to see how he does with 1 drop.
    I’ll be gone for several hours today, so will use the timed feeder, but won’t be able to test. I work with a wildlife rehab organization here-Appalachian Wildlife Refuge- and I need to transport a baby great horned owl to Carolina Raptor Rescue in Charlotte today. But I think I’ll start the 1 drop dose either this evening or tomorrow.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  14. JulieL

JulieL Member

I’ve been practicing my 1 drop dose, and I’m actually able to consistently get 1 drop by drawing up a 0.5 dose and pushing out 2 drops. (My 0.5 dose is 3 drops). I tried the other method you mentioned, but it didn’t work for me. Such tiny little doses!
    I’ll be interested to see how his numbers look with a 1 drop dose and the transition to Weruva BFF. Can’t tell right now if he likes the Weruva- he seems to leave some in his bowl and I have to add “magic dust” (Pure Bites sprinkles). Could just be that he knows how to coax more “magic dust” from me!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  15. Suzanne & Darcy

So far okay on the one drop. I just wanted you to know that I didn’t forget y’all! I care about you and about Liberty even though I have been struggling a little lately!

JulieL likes this.
  16. JulieL

JulieL Member

Oh, Suzanne- I know you care! You care so much and offer so much help. And, I know you have a lot going on with your life and kitties, and I worry about you struggling. Liberty is stable, and we are cruising along. There are others having pressing issues with their kitties- we are fine.

17. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

JulieL likes this.
  18. JulieL

JulieL Member

:)
    I actually wasn’t asking about the chart- I was trying to answer Pattylynne and Tigger’s question about the searchable list. She couldn’t find the searchable one so I was trying to send her the link I have for the list.:) But thank you!!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024 at 2:23 PM
    Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.