Simba was diagnosed with DKA. Vet thinks we're out of options. Help :(

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Eric and Simba, Dec 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Small victories....celebrate each one!

But now, you have another huge task ahead of you. You have to upload a pic of dear Simba for me to keep in my head, since I'm thinking about him all day anyway :joyful:

2. Eric and Simba

Eric and Simba Member

Here's a few I have from before this whole debacle. I'll add another as a profile pic too :)

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Lovely red boy! :smuggrin::bighug:

Eric and Simba likes this.
  4. Eric and Simba

Eric and Simba Member

382 AMPS. We only have 3 strips left & delivery for the new ones was delayed until tomorrow afternoon.
    I'm planning on getting a reading around +5 or +6 to see where he's at. That would leave us with enough strips for his next two pre-shot tests before the strips arrive.
    Hoping 5u wasn't too much this time.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I've been there. I had to get strips from my vet at $15 more than I normally pay because I ran out. Now I always have at least one backup bottle of strips. Right now I have about 10 boxes of 50 and 3 more on the way. Maybe more than I need. Lol I would be VERY surprised if Simba went low. I'd love to see some yellow numbers though! Crossing fingers for you.

6. Kris & Teasel

Are you game to go to 6 u tomorrow AM?

7. Eric and Simba

Eric and Simba Member

+6 came up at 582. I think we're going to hold him at 5u for a bit until we can get a better curve done to see how low he's actually going - especially because we don't have enough strips to test frequently after changes. Probably will change his dose either Tuesday or Wednesday.

He's been visually improving across the board & his ketone test this morning showed trace amounts. He's been eating more and more on his own as well, though he still gets most of his food through the syringe.

8. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Great to see a good report on his progress. You have been getting awesome help and support.

9. Eric and Simba

Eric and Simba Member

His AM test came up "HI" on the AT2. Found a web page that says that means over 750??? We don't have any strips left to confirm an accurate reading. That would be a massive jump from his historical highs.

10. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

I was worried you might go up today with those blacks yesterday. There is a 20% variance so even a 600 could actually be 480-720 (600 plus or minus 20%), so it actually isn't terribly surprising to me.

If it were me, I would go to 6u since your strips are coming today, but you have to be comfortable with that. I can all but promise that there is almost zero chance of him getting below 50 today. I have never seen A jump like that, unless I suppose you gave ten times more than you intended (a 10x dose has happened with newbies here before who didn't understand the syringe readings).

11. Kris & Teasel

I suggest you buy a human meter from a pharmacy. Get one that needs only a tiny blood drop to give a reading and has fairly cheap test strips. The AT meter is great but it's far too expensive to use long term and you need to be able to get a strips supply on short notice.

Too high is too high. Try not to figure out patterns right now. Your goal is to get his BG range down into yellows and blues. That's when you think about dosing strategically.

12. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

13. Kris & Teasel

Yes, I would.

14. Eric and Simba

Eric and Simba Member

I already gave him 5u an hour ago. Too late to add another 1u, right?

I've been thinking about this lately, but decided it may be unwise to change meters immediately when we're making big 1u changes. Adding another variable and all that. Do you have any recommendations for a decent human meter?

15. Kris & Teasel

Correct. Leave that 5 u dose as is. I'm in Canada so all BG testing supplies are pricey. US members bought the Walmart ReliOn store brand up until recently. It seems those are no longer available. I suggest you post asking specifically about that.

16. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sorry, I thought we were catching you at preshot this morning, and I had to run into a doctor appointment.

Right, never give a second dose. But I strongly suggest increasing tonight rather than waiting for tomorrow or Wednesday.

17. Eric and Simba

Eric and Simba Member

Will do.

He's been drinking a TON of water today/yesterday. I know that's a side effect of hyperglycemia - is there any reason to not let him drink as much as he wants?

18. Kris & Teasel

Let him drink. Good hydration is key and water will help to wash out ketones.

19. Eric and Simba

Eric and Simba Member

Got the new strips & his +5 also came up HI :mad:

20. Kris & Teasel

Try 6 u tonight. Keep it for 3 cycles then go to 7.

21. Eric and Simba

Eric and Simba Member

We're thinking about giving him another day or two to adjust to the new dose. It seems every time we've upped the dose he's had one good cycle of mostly pinks followed by record highs. Prior to this week we had never even seen anything above mid-500s, and now we're seeing 600s and 750+s. The lows aren't really getting lower either. He seems overall pretty healthy right now and I don't think he's immediately at risk for DKA (the past handful of ketone tests only showed trace levels as well).

Thoughts?

22. JanetNJ

I'd do 6. Your have to get him out of the black. It is absolutely putting him at a higher risk for developing ketones.

23. Kris & Teasel

The low numbers are most important in assessing dose. He hasn't been lower than middle pink so that tells you the dose is still too low. The highs are less important.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  24. Eric and Simba

Eric and Simba Member

My point is that he may just need more time to adjust. The recent blacks seem to be a rebound from going below 350~. We have seen more consistent blacks since upping his dose to 5u than we ever did prior. May not be related, but increasing the dose this quickly/often seems that it could be making things worse.

25. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

I see what you are saying, but you also need to understand that the longer you stay in high numbers, the higher the risk for DKA as well as developing glucose toxicity.

Personally I agree on 6u as well, but you hold the syringe and have to be comfortable with it. There are very few guarantees with insulin, but as Kris echoed, you are way way off from being in hypo territory and you need to get rid of these blacks -- that is the only way I felt comfortable giving a recommendation, with no test strips in reserve, of increasing the other day. That is something we almost NEVER recommend. If you want to do this as an experiment and want to stay where you are for now, then you must be super diligent on ketone tests and food/water intake and jump up on the very next shot if anything degrades.

So let's get a check in on everything else. When was the last ketone test and what was it, how much food is he getting per day (on his own, and syringed), and is his course of clavamox complete now? I'm sorry that I don't remember the original purpose of the clavamox but based on what kind of infection it was for, can you tell if the symptoms have resolved?

I am just trying to assess the other components that help contribute to DKA. DKA is ugly ugly stuff to be avoided at all costs and we would hate for you to be facing that again. Ketone tests are critical, food is critical, water is critical (and of course enough insulin is critical). I personally don't think of DKA as something you tiptoe into. I think of it as a cliff you fall off of, where getting back up is way harder than it was to go down (just my own analogy, btw).

I don't want to frighten you and I absolutely don't want you to feel bullied. You all are doing SO well that I want you to realize how lucky* you are to get to the point that you are at now, but also to know you aren't out of the woods yet. We are all pulling so hard for you. I said I thought about Simba all day, and I am not exaggerating even one bit.

* Clearly "luck" had nothing to do with it, you all have worked your butts off on caring for and loving this little guy, and all we can do is give our recommendations and experiences.

26. Eric and Simba

Eric and Simba Member

We've been checking him every time we catch him at the litterbox, which is pretty frequent since he's always in our bedroom. The past 6 or 7 readings have all been trace (~5mg/dL).
    He's getting his normal amount of food, which is around 360 kcal or 4 cans of FF classics (12oz total). Until now, probably 90% was syringe fed. Today, he's started eating again, and has already ate almost all of his dinner on his own.
    This morning was the final dose. It was to treat an upper respiratory infection. His inner eyelids aren't showing anymore, and he doesn't seem to have trouble breathing either - it appears that he's recovered. We've also stopped giving him the cerenia & ondansetron as of today. Going to see how he does going forward without them.

We gave him 5 units tonight. I understand that we don't want him in the blacks, but so far increasing the dose has correlated with more blacks at higher numbers. We have never seen numbers anywhere near this high, and I don't think it's crazy to assume it's related to the higher dose. Again, this could be a coincidence, but I think it may be a good idea to let him recover from this bounce & get more tests in before adding more insulin. He may have reached yellows yesterday morning before jumping back up to the black at +6. If his numbers are relatively low for tomorrow's AMPS, we're going to do a full hourly curve throughout the day to see what's going on. If it doesn't look like he's going down much, we'll up the dose.

27. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Trace is great, eating is great, and no more clavamox is excellent!

That sounds like a plan then. We will keep an eye on his spreadsheet, but just continue to keep us updated here on everything else, and we'll jump in if we see or hear something that concerns us. :bighug:

28. Eric and Simba

Eric and Simba Member

Pre-shot was 441. He ate most of his breakfast pretty eagerly. Gave 5u. We'll do our best to get a measurement every hour starting from +2

29. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

30. Kris & Teasel

Every two hours would give plenty of data while sparing his ears and your supply of $$$ test strips. :)

31. Eric and Simba

Eric and Simba Member

Looks like he's going to have a pretty active cycle today. Down to 354 at +3.

I wanted to do tests every hour to get a better idea of what his lowest point is when he rebounds (the 326 measurement could've been missed on 12/8). Ended up skipping that yesterday since he didn't actually go down :(

majandra likes this.
  32. Eric and Simba

Eric and Simba Member

Today is going swimmingly so far. +5 came in at 299, which is the first yellow we have seen since October. Hoping we don't see another intracycle bounce and can finally get an idea of where his nadir is.

33. Kris & Teasel

I love those yellows! :smuggrin:

34. JanetNJ

Fantastic!!!!

35. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

How are things going this morning, I didn't see your reading. And how is eating and ketones?

36. Eric and Simba

Eric and Simba Member

We tested about an hour and a half before the shot & it came up @ 509. Higher than we were hoping to see, but at least it's not 700. That's the only test we got so far today. Probably going to increase dose by .25 starting tomorrow.
    He is eating very well now. Last few ketone readings have been good, but haven't been able to get one in a while.

37. JanetNJ

I'd definitly do the 5.5. I know you hit yellow but there's still a ways to drop.

38. Eric and Simba

Eric and Simba Member

PMPS came up 157. Retested and got 160. No idea what to do now. Aside from the AM, these were the only BGs we got today. Definitely cannot give him 5+ units. Should we skip the shot entirely? Give a small amount like a half unit?

majandra likes this.
  39. Kris & Teasel

No, I wouldn't give him 5 u on that PS. It looks like you're reaching his "breakthrough" dose range where you're getting through the glucose toxicity caused by time in very high numbers. You could try stalling without feeding for a half hour and retest to see if he's going up. If so, maybe try a 50% dose. It's always guesswork in these situations. If he's not rising but staying level, maybe try 1 u.

40. Eric and Simba

Eric and Simba Member

I already gave him his food & he wolfed down 70% of it. Also created a new thread since this isn't really on topic anymore.

41. Eric and Simba

Eric and Simba Member

With his latest bounce, things have taken a turn for the worse. His ketones have been going up and up and we aren't able to feed him now. He got 1 can of ff earlier and threw part of it up later. He is hardly responsive, won't chew the food from the syringe. Only picks his head up slightly every once in a while. He can't walk. My girlfriend panicked and gave him more insulin around 3 pm EST today after getting another HI reading. All bg readings have been HIGH today. We picked up another bag of fluids for subq and gave him a bunch of that.

I'm lying with him in bed right now with a heated blanket trying to keep him warm and let him know he hasn't been abandoned. We cannot afford another hospital stay. If we don't see any improvement by tonight, I don't think we can keep putting him through this. I don't even know that he'll make it that far.

Thank you everyone for your support.

42. JanetNJ

Are you sure the infection cleared? Maybe he needs another round of antibiotics. So sorry he's struggling so much. :( I'm glad you raised to 6.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  43. JanetNJ

What would you guys say to Eric dosing every 8 hours?

44. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Oh, Eric I'm so sorry. Poor little guy....

I don't know what to say about 8 hour dosing. Never done it myself, but obviously it is the same principles, just slightly more complicated.

He kind of got a triple whammy: a bounce from that blue on 12/20, the 0.75u reduced dose on 12/20 PM, and a reduction from 5.25u to 5.0u on 12/21 AM. So I'd like to think that, assuming you can get food into him, that we can right the ship with this increase to 6, but ketones and not eating surely complicates everything.

How much insulin did he get at 3pm (so that would have been at about AM +5.5 ?) and have you gotten a reading since then? That might help us see if 8 hour dosing would help.

45. Eric and Simba

Eric and Simba Member

He is borderline comatose. We are bringing him to the er. I think this is going to be goodbye.

46. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Holding you all in my heart. Any decision made out of love is the right one, no matter how hard it is for you. :(

47. JanetNJ

I'm so sorry. :(

48. Eric and Simba

Eric and Simba Member

He couldn't eat, he couldn't stand, he couldn't even hold his head or arms off the ground for more than a couple seconds without convulsing. He only got worse as the hours went on. We could not afford another $3000 hospital stay with the chance that he could relapse as soon as he came home. He was unhappy and suffering. In the end, we had to let him go.

I'm sorry to everybody that got invested in our story just to see it end like this. I'm especially sorry to Simba. He deserved to see many years to come. If I had been more diligent and less stubborn, this could have been avoided. I only hope that his year with us was as wonderful as ours was with him.

Thank you, everybody that shared opinions and anecdotes. It means the world to me that there were so many people willing to help a complete stranger. Simba would have appreciated it as well.

Rest in peace Simba, the best friend I ever could have asked for
    Oct. 3, 2004 - Dec. 22, 2018

49. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

There are no apologies needed, and no blame is to be had. You did an amazing thing with your boy. We feel honored to have been here for you, and are heartbroken with you, but will be here again whenever someone needs help.

Be kind to yourselves, you were Simba's Angels, and now he is yours.

:bighug:

Sandi & Whisper.

50. PPCW

PPCW Member

I am sorry for your lost :(:bighug:. Fly free little angel cat_wings>o:rb_icon:.

51. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

:bighug:
    Do not be sorry to us or to him. Do not feel guilty.
    I know that is easier said than done, but I *know* you did nothing with ill intentions.

52. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Sometimes no matter how much you know...how much you love, how much you try and even how much money you can afford to spend you come to the stark realization that the kindest, and emotionally hardest act of love is to let your beloved baby leave the fight and be at peace. So many of us have been in this position and we truly understand the greatest act of love for our furbabies. Having cared for and loved unconditionally for our beloved furbabies is the greatest testament of our love and allowing them to escape the pain and suffering of their physical bodies...as much as it tears our heart into little pieces...is the final showing of our eternal love for our furbabies. My thought are with you! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

53. Tom & Thomas (GA)

Tom & Thomas (GA) Member

You opened your home and your heart to an elderly cat with known health problems. Without you he might not have had this year at all. You gave him love he might never have found again. At the end you fought for him as hard as you could. Grieve, but you have no cause to reproach yourself. Simba was a lucky guy.

54. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

So very sorry Eric. I didn't post because I am not experienced and couldn't offer guidance, but I followed and read the threads all along, rooting for you and Simba. I completely agree with the sentiment that the gift you gave out of love was true and it is honored. I am truly sorry for your loss and your grief. Be very kind and gentle to yourself, there is no blame and no shame here. cat_wings>o:bighug::bighug::bighug:

55. JanetNJ

That was a really kind, loving, incredibly hard decision. I'm glad his last year was with people who truely cared about him. Sorry for your loss.

56. Kris & Teasel

I'm so sorry you had to let him go. You did everything you could and gave him a loving home while he was with you. :(:bighug::bighug:

57. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss of Simba.

58. Eric and Simba

Eric and Simba Member

Thank you, everybody, for the kind words.
    It's only been one day but it feels like an eternity. Simba was a huge part of my life. It genuinely feels like a part of me died along with him. I know it's something that will heal in time, but the hole in my heart will be here for a while. We made burial arrangements with the cemetery at the shelter where we first met him. They treated him well in life, and it's a fitting place for his remains while he waits for us in the great cat tree in the sky.

I'm so grateful that Simba accepted us into his life. From the day we brought him home he treated us like family. He taught me more about loving and acceptance than I ever could have asked for. I'll be blessed if I can ever meet someone like him again.

My girlfriend/Simba's mom is also so thankful for everybody here. She never directly posted here, but all of your messages made their way to her. She wants me to let you all know that you gave her hope when it was running low. Even through everything, she doesn't regret any of our attempts. All your contributions are greatly valued.

I'll continue to check in on these forums and see how you all are doing, but I probably won't be posting much. I really do appreciate everyone who took the time to send kind words, advice, anecdotes, or general care for our story. I'm sorry it didn't have a happy ending. We came here too late. In the future, we will do better. I owe that to Simba, and I owe that to all of you.

I wish you and all of your fur friends good times and the best of luck.

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays, everybody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.