Should I increase dose?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by HeatherHJ, Feb 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeatherHJ

HeatherHJ New Member

A week ago, my vet suggested lowering dose to 0.5 units. I've done that, and now Wilson's numbers seem to be going back up. :(
    I'm thinking maybe go back up to 1U. Based on his spreadsheet would you recommend 1U? He was on 2 and 2.5 previously when his numbers started going down. He's on Vetsulin. I know not the best. I'm going to ask vet to prescribe something else once he finishes the vial.
    Thanks!
    ~Heather & Wilson :cat:

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Is he on a completely low carb diet?

Without mid cycle tests it's really hard to tell if the dose is good. If he's completely low carb, I'm wondering if his BG is just dropping very quickly and then he bounces for a day or so.

Would it be possible to get some +2 and +3 tests?

If I had to guess, tomorrow's AMPS may be in the 300s, and he might be in 200s by PMPS. It would be very helpful to have those early mid cycle tests tomorrow during the day, and again at night.

Have you seen this sticky in the Vetsulin forum? It gives best practices for Vetsulin dosing; specifically, you'll want to look at the section on Changing the Dose. A lot of it depends on nadir, and there is no data on Wilson's spreadsheet for nadir.

3. HeatherHJ

HeatherHJ New Member

Thank you for response! Yes he's on low carb diet. He eats fancy feast pate, friskies pate, and special kitty pate. He gets a little Dr. Elsey's on occasion.
    You were correct, his AMPS was 323. I'm impressed you were able to predict that!
    I'll do a curve today. I'll also review the info from vetsulin thread.

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Sometimes the crystal ball works sometimes it doesn't!

Today will be good! I suspect a 200 PMPS but hard to say. If that happens, it would be really helpful to have +1, +2, and +3 tonight as well.

HeatherHJ likes this.
  5. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

To clarify my thought process - I think on these nights he has a PMPS in the 200 range, he might be dropping lower/faster than usual. In response, he's bouncing.

Sometimes cats just bounce and it takes a little while to even out. BUT Vetsulin is also notorious for hard and fast drops, so it's entirely possible he'd just continue to bounce. I know you're looking to change insulin at some point, but if we see he just keeps bouncing around it would be better to change sooner rather than later.

But! All speculation for now, numbers will tell us for sure.

HeatherHJ likes this.
  6. HeatherHJ

HeatherHJ New Member

Based on his nadir of 264 yesterday, and the info from vetsulin thread, I decided to start to increase his dose again. I went up to 0.75U. We'll see how it goes. Thank you for your help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.