Should I give dose of Prozinc if she hasn

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathy Maze, May 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy Maze

Kathy Maze New Member

Thank you for letting me join. My Lily is about 13 yrs old. Lily was diagnosed on January 19. She was started on Prozinc and Science Diet M/D. She is now up to 4 units of Prozinc twice a day with still no improvement. Lily is semi feral so I am working on getting her used to me checking her blood. She's fine with me giving the the shots but not so much the other.
    Since joining here I have been constantly reading the website and the messages here and on the Forum. I'm gradually switching her from the dry Science Diet to Friskies Canned.
    This the results of the Blood Glucose that I have been able to do. I am using PetTest Red Dot Blood Glucose monitor.
    4/28 8:00pm HI before meds. 10:00pm 500 after meds.
    4/29 8:10 am 588 before meds 8:00pm 433 before meds
    4/30 8:10am 435 before 8:10pm Hi before 11:30pm Hi after
    5/1 This morning she is throwing up. Wanted water from bathroom faucet. She drank some and then threw up the water. Checked her blood and at 7:30am it was 541 before meds. She does not want to eat so I haven't given her shot yet.
    To do the curve I'm going to have to crate her with a litter box to be able to catch her. Any advise would be appreciated

2. Kathy Maze

Kathy Maze New Member

Sorry hit enter to soon. Should I give injection if she hasn't eaten

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I would give her a little while to see if her stomach settles down. Is her behavior normal other than throwing up? Have her numbers been this high consistently? Have you been testing for ketones?

Part of why your cat's numbers are so high is the Science Diet dry food. Despite it being labeled for diabetics, the dry food is ridiculously high in carbohydrates.

You might want to talk to your vet about getting a continuous glucose monitor like the Freestyle Libre. It is glued to your cat's skin and you get a reading of your cat's blood glucose by having your phone close to the button that's on your cat. I'd encourage you to keep getting her used to your testing since the monitor is good for only 2 weeks and they cost about $60 each. But, it's a good way to be sure you can get test results.

I'm including a link that's about helping us to help you. It will provide instructions on how to set up your signature to include some basic information so we don't plague you with the same questions repeatedly. It will also provide information on how to set up a spreadsheet so you can track Lily's progress and so we can follow along and offer input.

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

If you need setting up your signature and spreadsheet after reading the link Sienne gave you in blue just ask, we have someone who will be happy to do it for you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.