Shivering when drifting off to sleep

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cat girl, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

A cat shivering as the drift off to sleep is normal for most cats right??that is only time miss kitty does it.never seen my other cat do it but have read online that it is a muscle thing they do to relax.not sure if it is true or not.

2. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

If you mean twitching every once in a while as they're falling asleep, then yes, it's normal. Both my cats and the humans in my household do this, but it's not constant like shivering.
    EDIT: If it's more than just a few times per catnap, there might be something else going on. How's the BG regulation?

3. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

I just started her on insulin lantus about 2 weeks ago having to increase her dose trying to get it to regulate.she does this every time she goes to sleep.she isn't completely asleep when she starts doing it and it isn't twitching.she looks like she is cold and shivering.she shivers and it stops for a second then shivers again and on and on til she falls asleep and it stops.im going to record it again so I can show everyone what I'm trying to explain.would be easier lol.i thought I had it recorded already but can't find it.:banghead:

4. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

She has been doing this a few years that I know of.

5. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

OMG, I know exactly what you are talking about! Squallie has done this all his life, I never heard of another cat doing it. I mentioned it to his vet years ago and nobody seemed concerned, and it's never caused any problems. I have no idea why this happens and nobody has ever enlightened me, lol.

SpecklesandMe and Cat girl like this.
  6. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

Ok here is a video of her shivering some as she is going to sleep.
    I read it was a muscle thing some cats do to relax to go to sleep but wasn't sure if it was true or not decided to ask around and make sure it was something normal.she is the type to get super jealous and stuff so she probably has stress issues and stuff.

7. Cat girl

Cat girl Member

My video wouldn't download for me for some reason.said there was an error.

8. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

As Squallie has gotten older he doesn't do it as frequently (he used to do it every time he went to sleep) but still does it occasionally. He's the only cat I've ever had, or known of, who did that, until Miss Kitty! :cat:

Cat girl likes this.
  9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Restless Leg Syndrome!!!! Lol. Do animals get it? My hubby is so bad with it. Won't take anything. Many a nights I'm on the couch.

Cat girl and Squalliesmom like this.
  10. SpecklesandMe

SpecklesandMe Member

If it's been stable for several years, I wouldn't worry about. When Speckles was very, very sick, he started twitching and shivering much more than normal. At that point, the vet said it could be an electrolyte imbalance (prob potassium deficiency), but unless it's gotten worse recently, it might just be what we've all seen in ourselves and our kitties before. Good to be vigilant though!

Cat girl likes this.
  11. Blamethecats and Hannah

Blamethecats and Hannah Member

I tried to post a video awhile ago and also got an error. Finally tried uploading it to YouTube, then provided a link to it in my post. That worked. I'd love to see what you're describing, as Hannah often does a little twitchy thing when she's falling asleep.

SpecklesandMe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.