Shattered vial

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dex, Feb 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dex

Dex New Member

Hi all,
    Brand new and first post. Kitty has been on Lantus for 7 months. Numbers looks great and he's doing well.

...and I dropped the vial tonight. It shattered on the floor.

I wasnt aware that vialnsleeves were a thing. Now I am. One has been ordered and will arrive Monday.

I tried calling in a refill, but per automated message it isnt available till the 9th. Vets office is closed on Sundays, of course.

I will call vet first thing Monday. If it can't be filled till Tuesday then he will have gone 2.5 days without insulin.

Help! What do I do?

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Do you have any family members or friends that are diabetics on lantus? Does your cat have any history of ketones?

If you call around you may find a pharmacy that can sell you a single pen of it.

3. Dex

Dex New Member

No family or friends that are diabetic.

He did have ketones in urine in June (month first diagnosed).None since ininitial dx and treatment, though.

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Call the pharmacy and speak to the pharmacist. Since the prescription is not for a person or covered by insurance, the probably can fill it early.

Also another way to protect the vial is to store it in a prescription bottle and keep it snug in it by wrapping the vial with cotton or a napkin before placing it inside. You only need to take the cap off to draw out the dose.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.