Same meter reading very different numbers at the same time

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pandapapa, Mar 26, 2024.

1. Pandapapa

Pandapapa New Member

Hi all, my cat was diagnosed almost 2 months ago and he's on lantus and i have been testing him every 3 hours.

As his numbers are getting 200, i been more concerned with readings. So earlier today, i decided to test him with the same meter, 3 times with 3 different strips and 3 different 'pricks'and results seemed wildly different to me and number variance between two of them are far larger than 30%

All tests were done in quick succession (probably within a 2 min window)

1st test (left ear): 163
    2nd test (right ear): 223
    3rd test (left ear): 120.6

The meter i'm using is Freestyle Lite,

I have also bought the test solution and tested twice and both times, it produced the number within the correct range. The difference between 223 and 120 is much bigger than 30% (i think like 50%)

Can you help me reason whether something might be wrong with my meter? I have another Freestyle Lite that hasn't been opened (bought it for emergency). Should I switch?

Also looking at his SS, given the numbers, i think i should wait few more days to increase his dose? (will post separate thread in Lantus thread about this after understanding the meter readings)

Thanks all!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Try one ear with the same drop of blood. There can be difference from ear to ear and on same ear a minute later
    Were all strips from same vial of strips (if in vials) or same package of strips if the strips are individually packaged in foil?

3. Pandapapa

Pandapapa New Member

Hi Larry, it's strips from same vial but each strip is not individually packaged.

Ok i did a test now with 4 strips, using the same blood (one prick), and i timed myself and all 4 tests were done within 55 seconds from first test to last, and results are now consistent, so i think that means no issues with my meter(?)

1st: 11.4
    2nd: 11.2
    3rd: 11.9
    4th: 12.2

He's eating as i do this, so maybe that effects the numbers. Is it ok to test while he's eating? I found that was the only way i can test him. So i feed him every 3 hours and test at the same time. I usually test as soon as he starts eating.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Those test results are all basically the same when you take into account the 20% meter variance..

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The 20% would not really apply. The variance should be a lot less since using the same meter and same lot/vial of strips.