Results of Freestyle libre/ diabetes & renal / insulin refrigeration issues!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BooBoo, Jul 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BooBoo

BooBoo Member

Hi ,

1. so had the Freestyle libre 2 fitted a week ago.
    Works well , frankly a great bit of tech. I would recommend for those newbies like me who struggle with ear testing and need to track the glucose often.
    results: not great. Not what I thought was going on - first day went down to 5mmol from an ‘off the sensor’ Reading (above 27mmol).

I think this was due to prior fasting and sedation for the libre fitting.

2. Since then I can see the insulin is having an effect but it varies day to day - he does not have a curve so much as a V shape with the lowest point varying between 9/10 mmol and 20 mmol maybe. He spends a good few hours each day above 27mmol and the rest on his way down/up, nadir doesn’t last long .

3. Has DX pancreatitis recently also. No ketones in the wee strips though. The pancreas levels have not improved since DX/losing weight/starting insulin.

4. Is on hills md after transition from royal Canin renal for early renal disease( his Kidney numbers went down to normal on the RC renal).

5. But recent kidney tests show it is creeping back up and vet wants me to switch back to RC renal .
    Don’t know what to do - there must be a food that suits both diabetes and renal??

6. He has lost weight on the hills md which is good as he was very overweight but now am worried his sugars will go up even more.

He’s fed up these past few days - maybe the uk heat not helping either.

7. Also, question re: temperature and insulin.
    I have caninsulin vetpen cartridges in fridge and a filled vetpen in use in fridge. However, they were taking up space in family fridge so decided to get a mini fridge for his stuff. I am now waiting for it to get cold./ prepping for use. As part of this I bought a fridge thermometer with sensors and see that the family fridge temp fluctuates - not always 2-8 degrees C, seen it at 10 degrees last night , then down to 5 degrees this morning. My question is: does this matter? The insulin always feels chilled but since DX about 2 months ago the fridge may have gone over 8 degrees at times. Now worried I have to throw out & buy new.

8. And also worried as the weather is hot in uk now and some companies are not delivering caninsulin coz it is too hot during the delivery process (in spite of the insulation packaging)!

it is all rather stressful tbh. So much uncertainty, I know others will identify with the lack of sleep due to testing sugars, monitoring, hand feeding etc…

2. StarburstMom

StarburstMom Member

I can only speak regarding food as Starburst is a ckd kitty too and I am new here. I don't belive there is a prescription diet that adequately addresses the needs of a diabetic (low carbs) AND the needs of ckd (low phosphorus). There are some foods that do though. I don't know if you are familiar with Tanya's CKD website/forum, but if not there is a TON of info on that site about everything ckd related. She also has a food list which does show the carb content but I don'tknow if they are available easily in the UK. In general diabetic cats should have carbs under 10 (some owners chose to go closer to 5) and phosphorus under 1 on her chart (the lower the better). The lowest phos/low carb combo I found was truluxe steak frites but I have others from bff brand and weruva that fit the requirements too. I do know that the moderators will recommend you fill out your signature with a spreadsheet (mine is in my signature) with your cats information so that you and others can get a clear picture of trends over time.

3. BooBoo

BooBoo Member

Thanks! Oh it’s so stressful!

4. BooBoo

BooBoo Member

Also having issues with the temperatures in the fridge , arghh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.