Remission questions

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kathy & MiddieMittens, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Kathy & MiddieMittens

Kathy & MiddieMittens Member

How long did your guys kittys go with out insulin before you declared remission?? I tested my kitty this morning and got 108! I was so excited not to give her a shot. lol i. Trying to get tests every 2 hours today so far shes still blue! Yay. :D hopefully she can come off it!

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Don't want to burst your bubble but Mittens is not ready to go off insulin. You have to track BG and slowly reduce dose as needed till kitty is able to surf in dark green numbers on their own for 14 days without insulin to declare them in remission. Only by getting BG down to totally normal range for the majority if not each whole cycle, is kitty really in remission. Normal range is 50 to 120 but a cat going into remission will spend the majority of each cycle in dark green range between about 50 and 80 with only the odd low blue reading. Mittens' BG has been rising since this AMs low pre-shot number which means the skipped shot is allowing BG to rise and Mittens pancreas is not yet picking up the slack.

Since dose was 1.5u you can reduce the dose to 1.25u or even 1u and see how she does so you get 2 shootable pre-shots. For a strong remission, you can't just suddenly stop insulin when dose has been 1.5u up till now unless BG warrants it and right now, Mittens' BG is still too high.

3. Kathy & MiddieMittens

The 1 wasnt cutting it why i put it back to 1.5 i cant dose out 1.2 its gotta be 1 or 1.5 a maginfer doesnt work well for me i just cant get it right.

My vet told me to stop shots at 100 or lower but shes not always available and getting appts with her is a nightmare. Mittens has a appt with the vet that i dont like tuesday, (to get vaccines) but I can't tell him ive been adjusting doses because he will yell at me and tell me im doing it wrong and going to kill my cat ( when i know better) so i dont really know what to do here. It feels like i got no one to ask about her & whats the right thing to do. If that makes since?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Reason for edit: Forgot something
  4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

When the vet told you 100 or lower, did they mean BG constantly 100 or lower or just at pre-shot? Bet they never clarified that. At pre-shot, I'd be very cautious about dosing at a BG of 100 as that leaves precious little room for BG to drop before it could be too low and with Mittens going outside and an inability to monitor her closely, that would not be safe.

5. Kathy & MiddieMittens

I would skip shot anything below 120 thats what ive done in the past anything above 120 i usally give her the full dose because like i said before ive not gotten a straight answer from a vet saying yes this is what you do. So ive been kinda doing this alone. Since the vet that diagnosed her doesnt agree with home testing or adjusting doses

6. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hi Kathy, How's it going today?