Remission cat can I leave dry food?

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Dkshin89, Jun 21, 2023.

1. Dkshin89

Dkshin89 Member

Hello everyone,

I wasn’t sure if I can leave this question on diabetes page. My cat went remission July last year. I have been feeding him wet food only. But I do have to make a 16 hour trip and no one can take care of him while I am gone.

I can leave wet foods for him. What I am worrying about is I have another cat and she is very very very picky eater and only like to have dry food. So I do have to leave dry food for her while I am gone.

I am 100% sure that my diabetes boy will try to take that dry kibble. I am wondering if it is ok to have one time dry food consumption for cat in remission.

I do have to make a trip from early in the morning, 3am and when I come back it will be around 6~ 7 pm. I didn’t have any long trip until now since he was diagnosed with diabetes.

Any advise will help.
    Thank you in advance.

2. tessa's mom

tessa's mom Member

Is there any way you can keep the cats separated while you're gone, like closing one cat in a bedroom or something similar? As long as both cats have access to food, water, and a litter box at minimum, being closed up for that long shouldn't be a problem and you would be 100% sure that the diabetic cat didn't get into the dry food.

3. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

no, diet is super-important for remaining in remission and you should avoid giving dry food if at all possible. If you must feed dry kibble make sure it is a low-carb variety.

4. Angie & Celia (Cruz)

Angie & Celia (Cruz) Member

Omg, if you know of any LC crunchies: PLEASE let me know. I have been looking everywhere! I honestly can't afford to keep giving her the freeze dried treats (that only come in small portions for a high price!) to keep her at bay while she awaits her wet food meal while I give my others crunchies (dry food) & treats to stave them off too while she wonders why they get them but she doesn't. :-(

5. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Young again Zero and Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein are both good

6. My Oreo

My Oreo New Member

Hendrick, my cat Oreo (16 years diagnosed 8 years ago and in remission ever since) does well with his raw diet (recipe from catinfo.org), however I constantly struggle with getting his younger sister to eat her 4 ounces a day. Especially if I’m out of town or someone else has to feed her. Any tricks/ideas? I even let some of the raw food air dry for 12 hours and hand feed her 3-4 times a day. Should I just try to supplement her diet with some of the dry food you mentioned here? Thank you in advance!

7. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

you could, but if you can avoid dry food entirely that is a better option. Have you tried Stella&Chewy's freeze dried dinner morsels? They are extremely calorie dense. Might be a good way to pump up the calories in her diet.

8. My Oreo

My Oreo New Member

Thank you so much! I haven’t tried these morsels. I will give it a shot :)