Remission after two weeks?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by True92, Feb 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. True92

True92 New Member

Hey all-

My girl Karmin (5 years old, 10lbs) was recently diagnosed with diabetes a few weeks ago. I found this after her urge to be in the bathtub and getting water was through the roof, while she had a few episodes outside of the litter box. However, after we are now finding ourselves getting lower glucose levels. When she first was diagnosed, she was between 350-450mg/ml. After approximately 10 days of 1 unit/2x per day of prozinc, we received numbers of 153 both from a blood test (which also confirmed her liver values had corrected, too!) at the vet and a similar number with our Alphatrak. The following day she was back at 252mg/ml so we administered slightly less than 1 unit. It has now been 60 hours since that injection with numbers ranging from 117mg/ml (just 30 minutes ago after eating) to 152mg/ml this morning.

While there is still plenty of checks in our future, especially in the upcoming days, I'm wondering if this could be a potential/encouraging sign of remission?

Additional note: we did switch her (and our non-diabetic kitty) to a wet food diet at the time of diagnosis, too.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Reason for edit: Forgot details
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes! You're seeing some great signs that remission may be in her future!

As you've seen, diet can play a very important part in treatment!

We usually don't recommend going from 1U to nothing though. Here we shoot doses like .75, .5, .25, .1 and even 1 drop. We want to keep them on insulin as long as safely possible so we get a strong remission, not necessarily a fast one.

It is totally possible that all she needed was a diet change though! Keep testing.....try testing, then feeding and then test again in 3 hours. If the number comes down, that's a pretty good sign that the pancreas has to be doing something.

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. True92

True92 New Member

Thank you both for the responses! I will begin setting up a sheet to allow for the better information! I guess I was semi-unclear on what dosing to continue as today she was at 166 this morning. Originally, I was told under 200 to not dose basically, so wasn't sure when it becomes a risk/just how much should we reduce insulin. I appreciate the responses tremendously!

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.