relion vs alpha difference in bg points

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Logan & Sandy, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

Today I was successfull in testing Logan for first time. i used the Relion prime since i dont have the alphatrax yet..i am aware that the alpha. is lots more expensive tho... what i was wondering is how much hIGher is the relion as far as when reading the BG verses what my vet did using their alphatraxx//?? logans was 302 this AM, 3 hours after he had his dose of insulin. at the vet less than a week ago (tues) it was 932AM 227(2hours after shot of prozinc 2units) then at 1132am 125bg and at 158pm 102bg then at 332pm it was 149bg.. thanks

2. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

i just measured logan an hour before he's sposed to get his final evening shot at 740.. using the relion prime he measured 124 do i still give him his full shot? @chrisandchina So at 740pm i decided to give him a blackline (hair, less) prozinc.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  3. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Congrats on getting your first test! There is no way to convert a pet meter to human meter numbers. Typically though, the AT usually reads higher than the human meter, though they are a lot closer in lower numbers. Our dosing methods were written using human meters, so there is no need to use the AlphaTrak.

Since you have just started to home test, this is probably not a good number to shoot. From the Prozinc Dosing Methods Sticky Note:
    How to handle a lower than normal preshot number when following SLGS:

Until you collect enough data to know how your cat will react, we suggest following the guidelines in the FDMB's FAQ Q4.4:
    Q4.4. My cat's pre-shot level was way below the usual value. Should I give the injection?
    A4.4. There's no hard and fast rule, but if you don't have data on how your cat responds to insulin, here are some general guidelines.
    • Below 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), don't give insulin.
    • Between 150 and 200 (8.3-11.1 mmol/L), you have three options:
      • a.) give nothing
      • b.) give a token dose (10-25% of the usual dose)
      • c.) feed as usual, test in a couple of hours, and make a decision based on that value
    • Above 200 (11.1 mmol/L) but below the cat's normal pre-shot value, a reduced dose might be wise.
    • In all cases, if you are reducing or eliminating insulin, it's wise to check for ketones in the urine.
    • Above the normal pre-shot value, give the usual dose, but if the pre-shot value is consistently elevated, it's a good idea to schedule a full glucose curve to see whether a change in dose or insulin is appropriate. In most cases, the target "peak" value should not be below 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/L), and for some cats it might be higher.
    Keep in mind these are general guidelines, and they should be personalized to your own cat's response to insulin once you have data and understand your cat’s cycles. If your experience is that your cat does not became hypoglycemic with a dose which is close to her usual, then personal experience should be your guide.

Logan & Sandy likes this.
  5. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

I ALREADY GAVE HIM HIS SHOT,.. BUT GAVE HIM A HAIR LESS THAN NORMAL... I DON'T KNOW HIS CAT CYCLES... ... SHOULD I TEST HIM IN 3 HOURS???

6. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

Hi Sandy, have you tested recently?

7. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

YES this AM and at 630.. but at 630 her test was 124 using the relion prime.. i still gave him a shot tho.. maybe i shouldnt have esp. after reading stuff in the diabetes group

8. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

Can you get a test now?

9. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

yes.. i did this am and tonite. but tonite he was at 127.. and i still gave him his 2 units of prozinc.. not knowing i probably shouldn't have!!!!!

10. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

shelley and Jess.. do u mean should I retest him now? he last had his shot at 743PM
    and last ate at705PM

11. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

Yes please. Test right now.

12. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sorry, my magic isn't working tonight, so I just left a link.

14. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

just tested him 90 mins later after shot.. he is rising.. he's at bg 242

Shelley & Jess likes this.
  15. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

Thanks! Great job testing!!

@Chris & China (GA) replied in your other thread (linked above) with further recommendations.

16. Wendy 17 and Merlin

Wendy 17 and Merlin Member

Sandy, regarding the differences in measurements between Relion Prime and a vet meter: see the graph in my signature:
    Copy 2 of Graph - Comparison of Blood Glucose Data - Human vs Cat Meter (11-8-2020) - Google Sheets
    When I first started measuring BG in September 2020, I measured each drop of blood on both the Relion and a vet meter for cats (Henry Schein GlucoGauge). Vet meters read much higher than Relion unless you are down in low normal or hypoglycemic range. I posted the graphs. If you select a value on the Relion curve, immediately above it, you can read the APPROXIMATE value for the vet meter.
    I took the readings over an approximately 2 months period, whenever I had to measure my cat. To create the graph, I then sorted the entries by ascending value for the Relion. For example, Relion data point 93 read as 170 on vet meter.
    @Logan owner is Sandy L.

Emily Tuomey and Logan & Sandy like this.
  17. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

18. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

Hi Wendy, thankyou for this.. so what i am interested in, is the Relion pretty accurate verses the alphatrax2, that I hear the test strips are so expensive? I went thru. a bunch of strips last nite using the relion..

19. Pookie (GA)

Pookie (GA) Member

Hi Sandy,

I started with an AlphaTrak but switched to the Walmart ReLion meter shortly after joining the board.

The strips for the ReLion are much cheaper (100 strips for $18.00) than the ones for the AlphaTrak (100 strips for $50). And the ReLion strips can be bought locally, whereas for the AlphaTrak you can only buy them online and wait for them to be delivered.

Most important for me, is that all the guidelines here are based on readings taken from human meters. So if I find myself in hypo trouble in the middle of the night and there is no one online to help me, I know I can rely on the advice given in the Hypo guidelines without having to sit down and run math equations trying to figure out what a "pet" number converts to on a "human" meter.

Enid

20. Wendy 17 and Merlin

Wendy 17 and Merlin Member

From my own limited experience, I feel confident in trusting the Relion readings. The cost for vet meter test strips is hugely more than for Relion. You could do what others do: base the treatment on Relion readings and only use the vet meter occasionally when your vet wants a reading on AlphaTrak.

You can also buy a specific cable for the Relion Prime and transfer the readings to the computer (for PC Windows 10 ($25): EZsync USB Download Data Cable for Relion and Arkray Blood Glucose Meters, EZSync001E, and get free software (or purchase $20) from SiDiary.org (Diabetes App SiDiary / Android, iPhone, PC, Smartphone) to analyze the data. (Use Arkray Glucocard Vital as the equivalent of Relion Prime). For me, it was totally worth it. It took way to much time for me to enter the data in the computer.

Shelley & Jess likes this.
  21. Chris & China (GA)

At low numbers (which are the most important for safety), they are fairly close. Under 50 on a human meter is your "time to act"...it's under 68 on a pet meter.

As the numbers get higher, there is more difference, but as long as you stick with the same meter, you get used to what those numbers mean.

At higher numbers, it really doesn't matter if the BG is 350 or 500....."too high" is too high, no matter what the actual number is.

22. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

saw vet today they tested him at 3ish pm CAlif. time) it would be +8? IF i did the morning shot at 730AM.. they used the alpha trax and they tested him with my relion prime.. essentially 40 points difference/lower was the Relion, interesting to know,

23. Chris & China (GA)

If you shot at 7:30am and he was tested at 3pm, that's 7 1/2 hours since the shot, so it would be +7.5 (which would go in the +7 cell like "### @ 7.5 "