ReliOn Meter problems

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by 20Merlin24, Apr 22, 2024.

1. 20Merlin24

20Merlin24 Member

Just a heads up for anyone considering this meter. Maybe I got a lemon, but...

I got the Relion meter because it was cheap, available right away at Walmart, and test strips are easy to get and very reasonably priced. But it has some problems (at least mine does):

1. It doesn't come with test solution, AND Walmart doesn't sell that in their stores. What? I didn't know this until I got home.
    You can get it for free every 10 weeks according to customer service, but you have to either call or order online. If anyone needs it, this is the address I was given: https://supplies.relionbgm.com/

2. It says in the instructions not to use it before testing it with the solution. But since they don't provide it, your meter is (at best) unreliable for quite a while. I tested mine against the pet one I already had, and it was reasonably close several times so I've been trusting the reading. But this morning I got four error messages in a row, and that was the last straw.

3. The test strips are really bad. I bought a pack of 100 and some were defective to the point of not even fitting into the meter, but for the most part I just kept getting error messages. I'm halfway through them now after just a few days.

If you have to use 3-5 strips for each test you might as well go with a more expensive brand because you're just tossing them in the trash anyway.

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@Red & Rover (GA)
    Hi Red, @20Merlin24 is using the Relion Premier Classic
    I am using the Relion Prime Meter which is discontinued but they still sell the test strips.
    That's really strange I have never read that anyone had trouble with the Relion Premier Classic Meter. I assume you will purchase a different brand of a human meter which is fine.
    Meantime I would call Relion and tell them what's been happening and for them to send you a new meter and test strips

I know some members use one of these
    Select Your Meter *
    • Platinum
    • Premier BLU
    • Premier CLASSIC
    • Premier COMPACT
    • Premier VOICE

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
    Red & Rover (GA) and 20Merlin24 like this.
  4. 20Merlin24

20Merlin24 Member

Yes, I've switched to Contour Next GEN which is working beautifully.
    I will definitely call them. Thank you.

Red & Rover (GA) likes this.
  5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Glad you're happy with the Contour Next :cat:

20Merlin24 and Red & Rover (GA) like this.
  6. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Loads of people here use the ReliOn Premier Classic and haven’t had problems. I used it for years. I also have a ReliOn Prime, like @Diane Tyler's Mom I’m happy you have found a meter that’s working for you.

20Merlin24 likes this.
  7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Each of my cats have their mown meter. One ReliOn Premier Blu, one ReliOn Premier Compact and one Prime Classic. The the prime came with one of the cats I adopted. I only had a problem w/one Compact meter. The strip was loose in the meter and would reset if I touced to cat when sipping blood. I caused the damage when I kept dropping the meter when I had a cast on one hand. The manufacturer, Arkray, replaced the meter.

8. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Do not tell Relion you are using the meter to test a cat. Otherwise, they may not replace it