Ready to buy a home testing kit

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Chris & Mally, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris & Mally

Chris & Mally Member

I'm going to go out today to purchase a home testing kit for Mal. A bit of research shows that many people use the ReliOn meter from Walmart, so I'm guessing this is a good meter.

My list of items that I will need include:

Glucose Meter
    Lancets
    Test Strips
    Gauze

Anything else I should pick up?

And if anyone has any other recommendations for glucose meters, please let me know.

Thanks so much!!!

Chris

2. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Get the Reli-on Lancet device and 'fine' (not 'ultra-fine' ) lancets.

I assume the gauze is for holding behind the ear when you poke.

I just used a single sheet of toilet paper folded up into a little pad.

When done poking, unfold the TP half-way and wrap the two halves
    around the edge of the ear with gentle pressure for a few seconds to stop
    the bleeding and prevent bruising.

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

ketostix

they are for testing ketones in kitty's urine. very important to be doing in the beginning and/or anytime kitty gets lethargic, vomit-y, and won't eat or drink

they'll be with the diabetic supplies at walmart.

read your relion box as i think it comes with a lancet device. if not, the lancet devices are sitting near the lancets and ketostix :D

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I like using cotton cosmetic pads for backing and applying pressure afterwards. For me they work better than gauze, tissue or cotton balls.

5. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

You need some uncooked rice, or rolled oats, and a sock to make a warming sock. Put a few tablespoons of either rice or rolled oats in a sock, knot it, and microwave it until it's warm *on your wrist*. Apply to kitty's ear for a minute or two to aid in bloodflow. :)

BTW.. when microwaving.. do it in 15 second intervals, so you don't start a fire LOL Mine takes right at 20 seconds to warm up.

6. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

we use the wal mart relion meter but lately it's been a real hassle trying to make sure our wal mart is stocked up on their test strips. We had to drive to the next town over the other day to buy some. And they only had three boxes. We bought all of them.

Not sure if this helps or not, but mocha does NOT like t.p. or paper towel or anything of the sort by her ear when we poke, so we put a bandaid on our first finger and hold her ear over the band aid so when we poke, it's poking through her ear onto our finger that's padded just a little. She is not bothered by that at all. We use the fabric band aids, not the sheer ones. She doesn't seem to notice that band aid but she certainly noticed the other stuff we were using.

7. Chris & Mally

Chris & Mally Member

Thanks for all the suggestions! I really do appreciate it.

I've got my list for Walmart and my treat list for the Petsmart. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.