Re-introduction of Faith Lee (last thread Sep 16, 2017)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cardinal1987, Oct 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cardinal1987

Cardinal1987 New Member

Good Morning:

I am sorry in advance for the length of this. Faith (age 15) has been on vetinsulin since around December
    2016. Faith saw her first internist on 5/3/18 (report= chronic pancreatitis, prominent muscularis layer)

Faith has had flare ups where she will not eat and we have to get through them, I want to say since around September Faith has been vomiting but these do not seem like the usual flare ups as after Faith vomits she will eat a temptation treat shortly after and she will eat at meal times.

The frequency of the vomiting has gotten scary, so I brought her to the internist on 9/22/20. I guess due to Covid we did not receive a written report like last time. I also asked for an ultrasound and all they did was check Faith’s bloodwork. Faith’s bloodwork was essentially normal. (I assume she did not give Faith an ultrasound because she saw Faith in August 2018 and November 2019 and said if Faith had the c word she would not be doing so well)

The internist’s reply was it was tough to say what was causing Faith’s vomiting and if I wanted to be more aggressive we could do an endoscopy and take biopsies. She said this would tell us if there’s inflammation that’s treatable or not and help guide medical options. She said if we decide to stay the course then she would like to see Faith in Feb or June 2021 as she will be out March-May.

I advised the internist that Faith’s vomit seemed to contain either hair or oat grass but Faith’s last few vomits did not seem to contain hairballs and I stopped offering the oat grass. Also I can hear her stomach gurgling a lot. I also have heard her burp after eating. (she has been prescribed .60 of baby gas). Faith has usually only vomited once a day and I am writing this because she vomited liquid last night (she ate her supper and got her insulin though) and I woke around 2am this morning to hear her vomiting again. This time she did not eat the temptation treat.

Faith also has a heart murmur/intermittent gallop and saw cardiologists in 2018, 2019 and on 2/6/20. She is scheduled for another visit on 12/8/20 as her proBNP number went up on the 2/6/20 bloodwork.

So the reason for this post is to ask if anyone is in a similar situation and has had their sugar kitty get an endoscope with biopsies.

Also does anyone’s kitty stomach gurgle a lot and or do they burp after eating? If yes, what if anything are you treating them with?

Besides using cerenia what do you do to help with vomiting? I asked if we could try slippery elm bark and it was not recommended.

Also in 2018 Faith had the 4 panel GI test and was prescribed B12. She is currently on .30 once a month. I asked if she should have a retest and do not recall a reply. Does anyone ever get a retest after 2 years?

Finally what do you give your kitty to prevent hair balls? We were told to use Vaseline instead of laxatone due to the sugar content.

Again I am sorry for the length of this and any information any one can provide would be greatly appreciated!

I actually shortened my original post so if you have questions and want to see Faith’s September blood work, cardio reports or 2018 internist report please advise.

Healthy Regards

Faith and Maria

Attached Files:

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I have a nondiabetic kitty that had a surgical biopsy to diagnose IBD. He did fine. He also had an ultrasound prior to the biopsy. The tricky part and why a biopsy is recommended is that it's important to differentiate between IBD and lymphoma. The treatments are different. There are recommendations about supplements on the Raw Feeding for IBD Cats page. Cats really shouldn't be vomiting frequently.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.