Ramone 06/03 - tests in

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Jerica&ramone, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

So Ramone's IGF-1 tests are in - I won't get FULL details until Saturday when I go in but she has said that everything is elevated..... ? ?

I will be doing A LOT of reading and research on this forum to see if I can get a better idea and understanding of all this. I understand acro a bit but IAA I really don't know what that is or what it means.

Anxiously waiting for Saturday to talk with her, I'll get the full report and all his #'s and I will try to share as much as I can.

Is there anything I should be making sure I ask her about ?? Or inquire about ?

I'm going to try NOT to overthink anything now until Saturday.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  2. Cleocatra

Cleocatra Member

It looks like you're in the hi-dose level currently. But you got Ramone's BG#'s down to decent levels- something I have yet to do with Cleo. IF he is acro, based on what I've learned caring for Cleo, keeping those BG#s down to minimize the hind leg neuropathy would be my first concern. Does he eat like a horse yet? That's one of the symptoms.
    I'd ask about trying cabergoline and zobaline.
    Hang in there.

3. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

Yes we've gotten his #'s down recently, its been a long journey, Saturday will be a year since he was diagnosed with diabetes. And I do hope these lower #'s will improve his neuropathy, I do give him methyl-b12 daily already, have been since January I think, he was starting to develop the neuropathy in his front paws but that has since improved, just hind legs still pretty bad, but he gets around well considering.

And he used to be super ravenous but his appetite is actually pretty normal now. I free feed. Some days he eats more than others. But since I've been working from home they've been getting pretty spoiled so I'm trying to get back into a more of a feeding routine when I do go back to work.

I've seen a lot that are using the cabergoline - what is it ? or what does it do ?

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Any chance you can get IGF-1 and IAA numbers before then? Think of IAA somewhat like an allergy to the injected insulin, the antibodies trap the insulin and it doesn't get into the cells where it's supposed to. For you, it means that a dose could look good, but do what I call "going stale" and you need to increase. This condition is also supposed to be self limiting, and at some point the IAA "breaks". At that point, there can be a steep drop in insulin needs. This doesn't mean all at once, but you can see lots of back to back reductions.

5. Wendy&Neko

FYI - not all cats get hind leg neuropathy. Neko did not, in spite of high numbers at first.

Cabergoline is a daily or every two day medication that can help reduce the output of growth hormone. More information in a post here.

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Mine never got neuropathy... she was never particularly ravenous either. She does have the pot belly and the high dose though.

7. Wendy&Neko

Just saw your note last night that he flinched when you shot. Any chance that the Lantus stinging him? Keep an eye on his reactions to the shot. The sting at higher doses is the reason a number of us have switched to Levemir.

Even with a partial dose though, Ramone's numbers look pretty good. :cool:

8. Jerica&ramone

Jerica&ramone Member

Sorry last couple days been super busy! And its already Saturday tomorrow. I will get the full report from her tomorrow on Ramone's bloodwork and will post it.

He has been doing so good lately its hard and sad to think there is more going on with him but also glad to have some answers and know how to move forward better.

Yes - the other night and that terrible shot I did. I don't think it was lantus stinging him. I had him in a different position than what I normally do and I think that was it. He was not very happy with me so I just left it but yes I do have to say his #'s were still pretty decent considering that less than half dose he got. Just want to keep this going!! :cool::D:cool:

I'll start a new post tomorrow with Ramone's results!

JanetNJ likes this.
  9. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Yes, Ramone's numbers really look great!