?? Questions/clarification??

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mphair84, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

I'm new to Lantus. I'm going slow and low. Tuffy's been on Prozinc for over a year. He's a finicky cat. Do you think it'd be beneficial to try and stick with the same carb count? He's on 10% LC Fancy Feast or Friskies.

I know every cat is different. My question is when getting nadirs to fill in the blanks how many should I get before adjusting the dose? Like, can I base a dose adjustment with one nadir, or should I get a few before making a decision? Can I use the data that I gathered at night?

When the week is up, I wasn't sure if I should be raising his insulin,but I don't have enough day information.

2. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Hi!

When you’re following start low go slow you only need 1 nadir value from a curve to change the dose. From your spreadsheet it looks like you’re doing it right, holding the dose for a week - doing a curve and basing your dose increases on your curves. You want to wait until the end of 7 days for SLGS to make sure that you understand how your cat is reacting to the dose ( safety reasons). The only time you would change the dose before the end of 7 days would be if Tuffy goes below 90mg/dL, if this happens you would decrease the dose by 0.25u. Technically on the 10th Tuffy Kitty actually earned a reduction

You can absolutely use a night time curve to base your decision of a dose increase or decrease, if you have time to do night curves it’s probably the best and safest nadir value to use since cats go lower at night :)

As with Prozinc, any food less than 10% carbs that is wet works! The lower carbs the better but the 10% or less works :)

From what I’m seeing, I think you may test often enough to follow tight Regulation, it’s a more aggressive protocol with dose changes that occur more often, with decreases happening at lower numbers, it is backed by peer reviewed scientific studies and typically regulates cats more quickly than SLGS.

@Bron and Sheba I see that you’re around, would you mind offering a more experienced perspective? :)

Mphair84 likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Cats often drop at night. Max sure did. So doing a curve at night is fine.

AmandaE likes this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

At the moment Tuffy could be bouncing from the 67 two nights ago. You have got three green numbers on this dose.
    I would wait another 2 cycles to see if he comes off the bounce to lower numbers.
    Go to the top of this page and click on the sticky for the SLGS and TR methods, scroll down to the SLGS and read the part about when you change the dose according to the nadir and when you leave it the same. I'd print it off so you can reread it when needed. You are doing well.

Mphair84 and AmandaE like this.
  5. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

I wouldn't have done an increase until this weekend. I'm just thinking a head. I've read the sticky a few times. I didn't think. I just figured that the 67 was a fluke, ride it out and monitor him. However, now that I'm getting some information and comprehending things a more the sticky might click.

Now that I know night curves count I feel more like I'm in control. I don't feel like I'm doing this so blindly based on the few times I can get a midday number.

I'm going away for the weekend, so I don't want TR until after. I figured it'd be easier for them. I will be out if reception when I leave and I don't want any bumps.

AmandaE likes this.
  6. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

That makes sense about waiting to start TR for sure!

Also you have done a good job getting data for how TK reacts to Lantus, let’s see what the curve says this weekend :)

Mphair84 likes this.
  7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Who is minding your kitty and giving the insulin?

8. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

@Bron and Sheba , a mixture of my sister in the mornings and my 2 friends in the evening. I don't want my cat to be too low or anything that may cause issue because I'm not sure if I will be available to help.

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Post the day before and ask for help on the best dose to give while you are away. State whether or not the caregivers will be testing the BSLs

10. Mphair84

Mphair84 Member

They definitely will at PS, but they won't be adjusting the dose. That's a good idea!

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.