Question?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harrisar, Aug 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harrisar

Harrisar New Member

Hi;

I ended up accidentally dropped my Lantus insulin bottle on the floor before I could give my cat his first insulin shot for the day. And I can't go pick up another bottle due to working from home, and my boss won't let me go to get one and I can only go during my lunch. Would that be ok to skip his shot for the morning?

And another question I have is that my vet has still yet to set a curve for my cat as when he was at the vet the day they were suppose to do it, he was being aggressive with the vet and won't let them do what they needed to and have been trying to set up an appointment for them to do it again but to no avail. Is there any way I can do it on my own, and if so how?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Did the bottle break? It might still be good unless it all spilled out...:(

Are you home testing? If so and you have a free day you can do your own curve.

Lets see what other members say...
    jeanne

3. Harrisar

Harrisar New Member

I am not testing as I haven't been shown how to do it, and yes the whole bottle broke. But I finally got a hold of the vet to take him in to do the curve. But its not till next week.

4. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't like to lump all vets together, but it is likely, given what I have seen in the past, that your vet will either actively discourage you home testing, or tell you it isn't necessary. And is unlikely to show you how to do it. A little searching on the internet will come up with a multitude of videos showing how to home test.

To answer your original question, as the whole bottle broke, it sounds like you don't have any choice but to skip. Whatever you do, after you get the new vial, DO NOT double up on the dose to make up for this morning. Don't mean to sound insulting, but you would be surprised at the number of ppl that would do that. You just pick up and carry on.

5. Harrisar

Harrisar New Member

Yes I wasn't planning on double dosing. Another question I have since I missed this mornings dose, would I be able to give the what would be the second dose earlier than what I would if I gave him him the morning dose as I know you need to do it 12 hours apart. As I am trying to work with my schedule with work. Right now the times are working as i'm working from home, but would like to change the time to where it would work for when i have to go back to the office.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  6. jt and trouble (GA)

Harrisar we can help you learn to test! We do it everyday... Theres an AMAZING group of people here, ready willing AND able to help.
    Once you learn how to home test your cats blood glucose, you can see at a glance just how that insulin is working for your kitty.
    Please consider asking for help we are GLAD to give it. We have a spreadsheet you can use to track his progress.
    YOU CAN DO THIS!
    jeanne

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. jt and trouble (GA)

Lantus MUST be dosed BID thats two times a day 12 hrs apart. If you dose early that WILL change your schedule (assuming you have one already)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) likes this.
  8. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

@jt and trouble (GA) , you beat me to it. If you give it early tonight, you would need to give tomorrow morning's dose 12 hours from the earlier time.

9. jt and trouble (GA)

:oops: didnt mean to step on any toes. ;):coffee:

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Harrisar

Harrisar New Member

Thanks can you recommend anything that I can use at home?

11. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

No toes at all. Was actually glad to see that someone else agreed with what I was going to post.

12. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

For testing? Most of us use human meters. The Relion brand from Walmart is a popular choice. If you lived outside the US and don't have access to Walmart, there are other options but I'm not sure what they are. Relion is cheap as are the strips. You would need a meter, strips and lancets to get started.

13. Harrisar

Harrisar New Member

I am from Canada, we do have Walmart, I'll have to search the Canadian Walmart website to see if that brand is available here

14. jt and trouble (GA)

Harrisar would you feel comfortable sharing you and your kitties names? Its ok if you dont.
    OK you may want to start here:
    New? How You Can Help Us Help You!

I echo Rhondas tip. ReliOn is what a lot of member here use. If your vet wants to sell you an Alpha Track its a pet meter. Its a great meter but the strips get mighty pricey I heard yesterday 2 bucks a strip.:eek: If you are at the beginning of this journey you are going to use a LOT of strips. ReliOn is cheap and so are the strips.
    And if your vet says you HAVE to use the same meter as his, keep this in mind. This site was built around using HUMAN meters.;):coffee:

15. Harrisar

Harrisar New Member

His name is Accardo, hes named after a baseball player that I had a crush on. But I fell like I should have named him Doc after Halladay. Ok thanks.

16. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

I looked up Jeremy Accardo, and can understand the crush. But I will counter with [​IMG]

17. jt and trouble (GA)

Hubba hubba! UNDERSTOOD!

18. Harrisar

Harrisar New Member

Lol, I know. Nice.

19. jt and trouble (GA)

:D I may be 66 but I aint dead. ...yet...:p

20. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Nowt wrong with admiring the scenery, Jeanne. ;)

Mogs

21. jt and trouble (GA)

22. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

If you get another vial of Lantus, to protect it if it is dropped again, place it in an empty pill bottle. Cushion it with either cotton or a napkin so it sits snuggly in the bottle and the top of the vial is below the lip of the bottle. When you need insulin, leave the vial inside the bottle as you withdraw the insulin.

Another option is to ask your vet for a prescription for the pens instead of a vial. Because they are in a pen, they are a little more protected, plus you will be able to use almost every drop. With the vial, the insulin starts becoming ineffective around 3 months after it is opened. Because the pens are smaller amounts, you will be able to use almost every drop in it. You will use a pen like a miniature vial. On package of pens contains 5 pens and depending on your dose, you will have enough insulin to last 9 months or more.

23. Harrisar

Harrisar New Member

I was able to use my lunch hour to get another bottle. I will as my vet about the pen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.