Question Regarding BG testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Blaze and Paola, Aug 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blaze and Paola

Blaze and Paola Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    First of all THANK YOU for all your help yesterday.
    I have created the SS even though it is still blank because I don't have the glucose measuring machine yet. I am going to get the OneTouch Flex this morning and all the things I need to have in the Hypo Tool Box.
    I have a burning question right now that I am fixating on.
    I am a teacher and I will be going to go back to work soon.
    I will leave my house at 7:45 AM Mon to Friday and I will come back at around 3:30 PM.
    I live alone.
    My understanding is that you need to monitor the BG throughout the day. I will be able to do that next week (we are going back to work for three PA Training Days, Sept 1st-3rd but the meetings are all online so I will be home) but once school starts I will be away for most of the day and my babies are home alone.
    How can I leave my house in the morning after feeding my cats and just hope that Blaze stays stable? I will only be able to test him in the morning and then when I come back from work...is that risky?
    Can you help me understand how I am going to manage his condition when I am back to work full time?
    Thank you again everyone,
    Paola and Blaze

2. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

A great majority of the people on this board work full time. It is possible! What time do you normally test and shoot in the morning?

3. Blaze and Paola

I was told to shoot at the same exact time morning and evening, because of work hours, I am establishing a 7:30 AM and 7:30 PM meal time. Vet told me to shoot after the full meal. I have not been able to test anything yet. The vet ordered the AlphaTrak 2 on Friday. Even though she very well knows I can't test right now, she told me to give him 2 units twice a day anyways. After talking to you here, I have decided to get a Human OneTouch measuring system to use at home. When she wants the curve results, I will use the Alpha Trak. I also feel that giving insulin blindly is extremely dangerous. She is supposed to teach me how to test on Monday. Today, I am going to go to the pharmacy to buy the OneTouch. I have watched videos on how to test and I will try today. I hope I don't hurt him and I hope he will let me do it. I switched him to FF pate wet food already. I did give him 1 unit this morning and I will try to test for the first time today to see where he is at. I will post here the results to ask for advise.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Most vets that I see discussed on here don't seem to think testing is important, and some actively discourage it. I don't understand it. They wouldn't blindly give insulin to their child.

It sounds like you are already bucking your vet's advice (good for you on this one!) by shooting 1 unit instead of 2, if I read that correctly. I would take this week to shoot and test as much as possible, so you can see how the insulin is working.

You might also try taking this time to maybe move to 6:30 or 7:00? That way, if Blaze's test is too low for comfort, you have time to stall and test again to see if he is going up or still dropping.

I had a Blaze too! Named him that because when I brought him in as a stray, he "blazed new trails" through the house. They are bad pictures, but here he is! 1916090_1167384705278_3904906_n (1).jpg 1916090_1167384745279_22216_n (1).jpg

5. Blaze and Paola

Yes, that is what I did, she said give 2 units, I gave him 1. And he is already only on FF pate wet food. And my other cat Ash is on it too now. I will give both the same.
    Your Blaze was gorgeous! My Blaze is the Grey one in the profile picture. The one behind is his bro Ash (who has policythemia vera but we have been on chemo for 4 years and he is doing great now). When you say to move the time does that mean both test and feed, right? Am I able to just switch the time to that starting tonight or do I have to do it working backwards in 15 minutes spans? For example tonight, feed and test at 7:15 PM...tomorrow at 7 AM/6:45 PM etc? Thank you for the great suggestion, it will give me more time to monitor. Here come the stupid question...when you say STALL, what does that mean?

6. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

It's been a while since I had to move times since my Shiloh passed a couple of years ago, but I believe the 15 minute increments sounds good. And yes, you would move both test and feed.

By stalling, I mean, if you test his blood sugar in the morning and it is low enough that you feel uncomfortable at that point giving him his shot, you can wait 20 minutes without feeding him then test again and see if it is going up without food influence. If it still going up, it may get to a number that you feel comfortable shooting.

And just be aware that when you do leave him to go back to work, you are going to worry like the dickens, and the first thing you will want to do is test him as soon as you get home. It is absolutely normal!

Your boys are so handsome!!

7. Blaze and Paola

Thank you so much for clarifying everything for me Rhonda. I am on my way to buy the OneTouch. Words cannot express how grateful I am to have come across this group of amazing loving cat owners. I feel truly blessed and when I look at Blaze now, I know we can get through this. Thank you immensely. Love you all :bighug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.