Question regarding asthma

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Adrienne & Molly (GA), Sep 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Adrienne & Molly (GA) Well-Known Member

Molly has asthma and she’s been good with it. But lately I’ve noticed her coughing more. Her BG is rising. We’ve had a air quality advisory here. Due to the wild fire in the states. My question is will that cause her BG to go up?

2. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

THH & Snowcrash (GA) Member

Anything that causes stress in a cat (like worsening asthma) can cause increases in blood glucose.

Is your cat on an inhaler? Do you have a rescue inhaler? This situation is so scary for cats and people with asthma

3. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Yes, on flovent with the chamber. I have asthma too so we share the same inhaler. Just wondering how often is it once or twice a day? I gave her inhaler this morning

4. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

It's usually twice a day. If he just started it, it takes 1-2 weeks to become effective though.

Do you have an albuterol rescue inhaler in case he needs it?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  5. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Well I didn't know that. I've been giving her the inhaler only when I hear her cough. So I should be giving her the flovent twice a day for two weeks? She doesn't have the albuterol just the flovent.

6. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

Flovent is a maintenance inhaler--meaning one that's meant to be used regularly; it's not a rescue inhaler. It won't stop an asthma attack that's already started.

7. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

I have a ventolin inhaler I use but scared to give it to Molly.

8. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

I would start using the Flovent twice daily and ask your vet for more guidance as to how long to use it for and when to use a rescue inhaler.

9. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Okay perfect thank you for your help :)

10. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

Hi! Little Bit also has asthma. He takes 2 puffs of a 250 mcg Flovent inhaler through the Aerokat chamber twice daily. That is what his vet prescribed. I hope that helps.

11. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Hi Little Bit,
    I stopped giving Molly her flovent she was doing good. But lately have found her coughing more. I also have asthma so we share the flovent lol. I have a Aerokat chamber for her too. It's sad I give her insulin and then her inhaler. Poor Molly but I have found this morning she was more playful. So it must be working already, we were under a air quality advisory from the smoke from the fires in Oregon. I also have flowers in the house to from my birthday that could've triggered it.

Little Bit sure is cute :joyful: have a wonderful day :)

12. Little Bit’s Mom

Little Bit’s Mom Member

He says thank you! :) So glad Molly is feeling better. I, too, feel bad having to give LB insulin shots and his inhaler, but he is so precious and takes it all in stride. Hoping that one day I can get him into remission as we suspect he has steroid-induced diabetes (years of prednisolone for the FA).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.