? Question about this study on cats in remission

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Hendrick Cuddleclaw, Feb 9, 2024.

1. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...elapse-for-diabetic-cats-in-remission.137967/

Quote:
    Results:
    Of the 21 cats in remission, 19% (4/21) had impaired fasting glucose concentration and 76% (16/21) had impaired glucose tolerance. Of cats followed up for 9 months after testing, 30% (6/20) had relapsed and required insulin treatment. Fasting blood glucose concentration ≥ 7.5 mmol/L (≥ 135 mg/dL) (odds ratio [OR] = 12.8) and severely impaired glucose tolerance (≥ 5 hours to return to < 6.5 mmol/L or < 117 mg/dL; OR = 15.2) were significantly associated with relapse. Blood glucose concentration > 14 mmol/L; 252 mg/dL at 3 hours was significantly associated with relapse (OR = 10.1).

Conclusion and Clinical Importance:
    Most cats in diabetic remission have impaired glucose tolerance and a minority have impaired fasting glucose concentration and should be considered prediabetic. More severe glucose intolerance and impaired fasting glucose concentration are predictors of relapse. Ongoing glucose monitoring of diabetic cats in remission is recommended.

My question is this: when doing my occasional home BG testing, what am I looking for to identify impaired glucose tolerance or impaired fasting glucose tolerance? I'm having a hard time digesting the info.

I think it is telling me that if I do a morning pre-meal BG test and I see a number of 135mg/dl or higher, that is associated with impending relapse. Or if I test 5 or more hours AFTER a meal and the BGs have not returned to less than 117mg/dl that is also a similar indicator.

Mikanmama likes this.
  2. Mikanmama

Mikanmama Well-Known Member

Hi Kyle,
    Not sure about the cats, but for humans, fasting BG is a number after 8 hours of fasting. Then they ask you to drink glucose (sugar water?) and then, test BG every 30 min or so. I got curious and went to look for the paper. It looks like they fasted the cats for 24 hours for the fasting BG. Then they "administered" glucose - not quite sure how much they have given glucose - must be some kind of a standard testing protocol.

Given this, I am not sure if you can apply the same cutoff BGs within a normal course of daily routine. :)