? Question about switching insulin

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by nikkiaz, Mar 5, 2021.

1. nikkiaz

nikkiaz Member

Hello -

Niki was switched to Prozinc from Lantus because we (and the vet) felt that he was all over the place on Lantus. So he was switched over in January 2021. But not only has his BG been way higher on Prozinc, it seems as if every week he is going through hypo episodes every few days.

Even if we try to reduce his dose after every episode, his BG just goes sky high again and we end up at the original dose again.

Needless to say, it is frustrating not to mention no one is getting any sleep.

Should we switch back to Lantus when we finish this bottle of Prozinc? With the price of these meds, we just can’t be switching without a good reason.

thanks for any help.

Nancy and Niki

2. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

He earned another reduction last night. Please take that reduction and don't be tempted to increase the dose or hold the same dose because of high preshot readings.

You're getting good response with Prozinc. That was some heavy duty steering you had to do last night to keep him in safe numbers.

His BG has been higher because he's going 'too low' and bouncing.

Definition of bouncing can be found here: GENERAL INFORMATION AND IMPORTANT LINKS

He keeps telling you over and over again he needs less insulin. Please take those reductions when he 'earns' them.

3. nikkiaz

nikkiaz Member

Thank you Shelley. The fun has continued this morning so we skipped his dose.

We will reduce his dose tonight.

thank you for caring.

Nancy

4. Bellabrewer

Bellabrewer New Member

I am nervous reading. This because my vet has suggested the same thing for my cat! I am waiting for the vial to come in and wondering if I should truly switch. We can’t seem to get her number lower than 314. I am glad to have found this forum

5. nikkiaz

nikkiaz Member

Hi! I am super nervous also. But he was in the high 100s and low 200s on Lantus and has been all over the place with Prozinc. It seems like we were able to better adjust his dose with Lantus - we got to the point where we knew what would happen. With Prozinc, it seems like adjusting his dose is so unpredictable as far as effects. We will keep trying with him, but I worry he is just one of those cats who will not be regulated. He is such a sweetheart though and accepts getting poked pretty well. Best of luck with your sugar cat (what is his/her name?)

6. Bellabrewer

Bellabrewer New Member

I am scared she may be one to not be regulated either .. My cat is Bella she is 12 years and hasn’t been regulated on a daily basis for three years. This will be the third insulin and I am so frustrated and I know she is tired of being poked. The new vial will arive tomorrow so going to give it my all and update this thread after her glucose curve. To get her below 300 will be a miracle

7. FarmKitty

FarmKitty Member

Wow, your cat sure bounces around a lot! Just wondering, are your cats up to date with their dentals? Personally, I saw a big drop in Dixie's BG levels after I got all the bad teeth extracted. Glad I did it because I feel like her numbers would have just stayed high otherwise! The switch from SLGS to TR also made a big difference, but I see you have already made that switch.

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Nancy --

I looked over both your Lantus and Prozinc spreadsheets. Have you been following SLGS? The SLS dosing method is the same for Lantus as it is for Prozinc. It looks to me like you really weren't following a dosing strategy. With Lantus, doses were changed too soon or later on, held for too long. With Prozinc, Niki's dose should have been reduced on several occasions where you held the dose. I'd encourage you to look over the dosing instructions in the sticky notes that are at the top of this forum. The method we use may run counter to what your vet suggests but we've had good success with this approach.