Question about phosphorous levels.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Danoodle009, Mar 6, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danoodle009

Danoodle009 Member

Good afternoon, everyone!

Pinky has been doing fabulously since his last bout of nausea; I have nausea medicine at home for whenever he has another episode. I was able to get him into the vet, and we confirmed the original thought: Pinky does indeed have pancreatitis. She said at this time, because he only sometimes gets nauseated and isn't showing any signs of pain, she is just giving me the nausea medicine to give as necessary. She said that if the nausea becomes more consistent, we'll discuss putting him on pain medication. She also conducted a fructosamine test and indicated that, while I should continue monitoring him at home at least once or twice a week, that his BG is normal and I should of course keep him on wet food. Excitingly, she recommended this site for guidance with that specifically moving forward.

Otherwise, his bloodwork looked great; there was only one value that was concerning. His kidney levels, while normal, were elevated. She completed a urine analysis test, and confirmed that he has elevated levels of phosphorus in his urine, and that he isn't concentrating as well as she would like. She is sending me all of the results, but she said his levels were around 4.3. With this, however, there was not creatine or protein present, so while she wants to slow the progression of what is likely early stage kidney disease, she isn't super concerned. She mentioned there is medication to slow the progression (that doesn't always work), and she said that because there's no protein in his urine, she doesn't necessarily recommend it. She's sending me the information on that as well to allow me to review and make the decision myself.

At this time, she is having me feed him his current food for the next couple of months just to get him settled into eating again and making sure that he doesn't have any pancreatitis flareups again, and then slowly transitioning him to a lower phosphorus food. She directed me to this site again to reference the food chart to find foods that are lower phosphorus, and I am happy to do so. She mentioned that while Hill's and Royal Canin have kidney support wet foods, they aren't particularly LC, so she recommended something you can buy at the store. When I am looking for foods that are low in phosphorus, what is the amount I should try to stay below? And when I am on other sites doing research, is there a percentage I should try to remain below if they don't have it as mg/100 cals as the chart does?

Additionally, is there anything else I can do for him to help slow the progression and support his kidney function?

Thank you for your time!

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

As for wet food for cat that are diabetic and who have kidney disease you can try these
    You can check these out from Weruva BFF like

One of our members put it together
    BFF play chicken Checkmate
    Protein 31%
    Carbs 5%
    Phosphorus 129%
    BFF play chicken & turkey topsy turvy
    Protein 32%
    Carbs 5%
    Phosphorus 129%
    BFF play chicken cherish
    Protein 31%
    Carbs 5%
    Phosphorus 135%
    BFF chicken & turkey tiptoe
    Protein 31%
    Carbs 5%
    Phosphorus 136%
    BFF chicken duck & turkey take a chance
    Protein 32%
    Carbs 5%
    Phosphorus 149%
    BFF play chicken & lamb laugh out loud
    Protein 31%
    Carbs 5%
    Phosphorus 154%
    BFF play chicken & duck destiny
    Protein 32%
    Carbs 5%
    Phosphorus 165%
    BFF play chicken & beef best buds
    Protein 33%
    Carbs 5%
    Phosphorus 171%

weruva has low carb and low phospherous wet food
    With weruva foods
    You want the metabolizable energy profile percentage of carbs to be less than 10%, and the phosphorus which Weruva lists in Minerals to be less than 250 mg per 100 cals. So you have to look at two different places in the Weruva charts.
    https://weruva.com
    Will also give the protein and fat %

For diabetic cats and cats that have elevated kidney values
    You want to feed low phosphorous wet food

When you go to the weruva site and click on one of the pics of the food , click on Detailed Nutrition information that is under guaranteed analysis to the left
    YOU WANT CARBS UNDER 10% AND PHOSPHORUS IDEALLY LOW 200's OR LESS

Have you done any more tests since 1-24?

3. Danoodle009

Danoodle009 Member

Yes, I have! I just haven't updated my signature/the SS since I have been testing him far less frequently. His numbers have been consistently below 90 since the beginning of February, and this has not changed throughout this whole process.

He was on Weruva chicken checkmate, but since his bout of nausea, it's put him off of it entirely. At this time, the only thing I can get him to eat is Hill's Prescription a/d, which is medium carb, and thankfully so far hasn't caused his BG to raise at all. My vet said that he would likely need to be transitioned more gradually than is typical (potentially over a full month) to a food that's lower phosphorus as we don't want to trigger his pancreatitis again. She also wants to check his urine again in a few months or so to make sure the numbers aren't jumping up at a concerning rate.

My hope is that, after a couple of months, we can get him back on the Weruva pate that he was eating (we have so many cans of it leftover, still).

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

That's wonderful news that Pinky's BG has been consistently under 90 since the beginnin of Feb.:cat:I'm glad the A/D hasn't raised his BG

Best of luck with everything :cat:
    Which kitty is Pinky in your avatar

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I can find not test for phosphorus in cat urine. However, phosphate in urine can be determined but is not a routine test.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.