Question about food and dosing advice.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Summer and Susie (GA), Feb 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

I have two questions. I recently started Susie on some small mini meals prior to nadir. Seems I don't have the BG control that I had before these extra meals. I would rather she have something to eat during the early cycles but it seems to be affecting he BG test. What is more important? That she have food during the early hours after the test or a reduced BG test?

Also, I think Susie was making more progress with the 1.25 units of insulin. I recently reduced it to 1 unit. Should I go back to 1.25 units?

Maybe the the mini meal of Fancy Feast Gourmet Naturals White Chicken Pate is not as low in carbohydrates as I thought. This might have caused the high numbers today. What say you all?

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I don't have experience with vetsulin, so I can't help you with the dosing.
    I do see an almost green on your spreadsheet yesterday.
    Maybe play with the timing of the mini meals a little bit. Did you feed at +2 yesterday?

3. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

From what I understand in your spreadsheet, you started the mini meals on the 31st and have done so every day since?

Prior to that, what were her eating habits? I.e. did she eat it all as soon as you fed her at AMPS?

It is more important that she has food leading up to and through nadir. Since Vetsulin onsets quickly and can drop quickly, the food will help keep her from dropping too fast (and potential bounces or hypos).

Your foods are low carb, I don't think they made a difference. Some days are just like this, or you may be seeing a very small bounce...but without night data hard to say.

I would keep the feeding schedule the same for awhile and raise to 1.25U again. Ideally getting nadirs as close to 90 as you can. Remember that preshot values are the last to come down...meaning as the nadirs are consistently around 90-100, over time those preshot values will also come down.

4. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, I did fed 1/4 a can at +2.
    Yes, at least one mini meal a day since 1/31. She always scarfs up her food right away and has always had a good appetite even as a pre-diabetic. Just two or three days since her diagnosis that she had lost her appetite. I just gave her 1 unit this morning and will see how the next couple of days go before I do an increase. Thank you, Melissa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.