Purina ONE Beef Recipe Pate Grain-Free Canned Cat Food, 3-oz,

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diane Tyler's Mom, Jan 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi anyone know if this is low carb? Can't find Fancy Feast Classic Beef Pate any where
    Thanks
    It's not on the food chart

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Appears to be very low-carb
    Ingredients & Nutrition

PRIMARY INGREDIENTS: Beef, fish, beef broth, liver, pork lungs, natural flavors, added color,
    ESSENTIAL NUTRIENTS AND OTHER INGREDIENTS: Minerals (potassium chloride, salt, magnesium sulfate, mono and dicalcium phosphate, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate, potassium iodide), guar gum, Vitamins (Vitamin E, choline, Vitamin B-1, Vitamin B-3, Vitamin B-5, Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Vitamin B-6, Vitamin B-2, Vitamin B-12, Vitamin B-7, folic acid, Vitamin D-3), taurine. C432018

from: https://www.purina.com/purina-one/cats/wet-cat-food/grain-free-beef

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi there , that's what I was thinking, I can't believe the shortage on FF Classics all of a sudden. Thank you :cat:

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Olive & Paula
    Hi Paula I did a search and saw that you have used this, can't find any FF Classic Beef Pate any where, is this low carb, I posted what I found on the Chewy site about carbs. I do have a lot of other FF pates that Tyler likes , I was just wondering about
    the Purina One Beef
    Thanks Paula :cat:

6. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  7. JaxBenji

Using Marje's post for As Fed (since moisture is included in the GA so I think this is right), I get 11.43%. I'll show my work below :p

Step 1:
    Moisture = 78
    Protein = 11
    Fat = 5
    Ash = 3.4
    Fiber = 1.5
    TOTAL = 98.9

Step 2:
    - 98.9 = 1.1

Step 3:
    Protein: 11 x 3.5 = 38.5 calories
    Fat: 5 x 8.5 = 42.5 calories
    Carbs: 1.1 x 3.5 = 10.45 calories

Step 4:
    Protein: 38.5/98.9 = 42.1%
    Fat: 42.5/98.9 = 46.47%
    Carbs: 10.45/98.9 = 11.43%

8. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have no problem with your calculations but based on the ingredients that is way too high since there are no "carb" ingredients listed. That is one of the problems on has when doing calculations based on the guaranteed analysis. I think it is closer to the 3+% listed on the Chewy site

9. JaxBenji

Perhaps - Marje's post also includes an article on why GAs aren't awesome so totally hear you there. Wish companies would be more forthcoming about their data but most will just do the minimum.

10. Gill & Mac (UK)

Gill & Mac (UK) Member

Hi
    I've put the link to a cat food calculator that someone on here kindly gave me when I joined.
    Putting in the %s you gave at step 1 above it gives an answer of 4.54% carbs though please run it through yourself too in case I messed the inputs up !! Hope it helps
    Gill

https://secure.balanceit.com/tools/_gaconverter/index.php

11. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Sorry I can't get connection at work. I use it, I believe it's below 6%. If it's not on the food tab of ss, I will have to look to see if I have the info.

Purina is having trouble sourcing ingredients, so all their lines are being affected. I do like Purina One over FF though. So far I'm not noticing any disable change to it like I noticed with FF. Also just started introducing Tiny Tiger from chewy. I think others say it's safe but I don't know. I do try to keep my crew on lc still.

I use the calculator on fnae.org site. It always came very close to what companies said if they responded.

http://fnae.org/carbcalorie.html

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank you everyone, I was just curious to see what it was since I can't find the FF Classic Pate Beef anywhere. I have enough of the other FF Pate flavors that Tyler likes, but I saw the Purina One Beef in Stop and Shop grocery store and since they had a lot of the beef flavor I was wondering whether to get it or not

I think I'll play it safe and not buy it.
    Yes I read here that Purina is having trouble sourcing ingredients, well they
    better hurry up :cat:
    Remember that commercial a long time ago with the old lady that said "Where's The Beef" lol I think it was for a fast food joint.

That's me every time Into to my grocery store Where's the Beef

@JaxBenji

@Larry and Kitties

@Gill & Mac (UK)

@Olive & Paula

Thank you guys :bighug::cat:

Gill & Mac (UK) and JaxBenji like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.