Puddy: Newly diagnosed; did not do well on glucose curve yesterday

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by steph_frances, Sep 1, 2021.

1. steph_frances

steph_frances Member

Hi there. I want to thank everyone on this forum already; it's been extremely helpful & I am hopeful that perhaps we can get on track with the assistance of this community.

Exactly two weeks ago my Pudd was given his diabetes diagnosis (I brought him in because he seemed excessively thirsty- every time I turned around he was at the sink with me, which is not his usual behavior). Knowing what I know now, I would have handled this differently, but I did exactly as the vet instructed:

We switched food immediately-
    Royal Canine Glycobalance 1/3 C dry & half can wet.
    I space these twelve hour apart.
    I was instructed to give 4 U of Prozinc at each feeding.
    Removed all treats & extra food. He gets nothing but this (whereas before he had more dry & wet food & lots of greenies.)

Background: Puddy is a big boy (large cat regardless) with a low metabolism (I've tried to help him lose weight for years to no avail. He's quite picky & actively seems to prefer junk food.) He is 8 yeras old and he's currently 20 lbs but the vet thinks he should be closer to 15. The vet has justified the dose of insulin based on the cat's size, but it still seems extreme to me.

I took him in yesterday for his glucose curve test. He didn't get below 400 all day long. She suggested bumping up to 5.5 U which I refused to do. We settled on 5 U but I'm still concerned it's a lot. I haven't liked the way he's been acting since on insulin, seems more lethargic than ever. Anyway, I'm sure he was extremely stressed at the vet, which I feel influenced his numbers. I want to start home testing even though the vet did not encourage this; I also am looking for a new vet. I feel overwhelmed about ketones & insulin & diet & so many other variables. I'm really concerned about this sweet boy. Why would his numbers still be so high given the rapid diet change and prescribed insulin doses? I've been trying to follow everything to a T. Not sure what to do now.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so very much.

2. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

Hi there! Have you happened to post on the Main Health Forum yet? I think that would be a great place to start and you will get a lot of good advice and assistance in setting up the basics, talking about starting dose, the benefits of home testing vs curves at vets etc. If you haven’t, I can see if I can tag an admin to see if they can move your post there (you could also just copy this and post it over there on a new thread if you want). The Prozinc forum is pretty lightly trafficked, so sometimes there are few responses or a fairly long wait for responses.

steph_frances likes this.
  3. steph_frances

steph_frances Member

Thank you! I will copy it to the other forum. I didn't realize that. I appreciate you letting me know.

Hshray likes this.
  4. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member