Psyllium husk for constipation

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Michele&Errol, May 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michele&Errol

Michele&Errol Member

How much Psyllium husk powder should one give to a small cat for constipation? If she is not eating and is being syringed, how much water should one add to the powder to ensure it doesn't cause a blockage? Thank you.

2. Margaret

Margaret Member

I can't say a specific dosage of psyllium per body weight, but I was told some years ago by my vet to open one psyllium husk capsule and sprinkle the entire contents over my cat's (wet) food twice a day. My cat was 20 lbs at his heaviest. Now he is about 15 and a half pounds, and another vet at the same practice said I should continue that same amount, as I've been doing.

The psyllium husk capsules I use say "100% psyllium seed husk." There are other ingredients such as gelatin, etc. The label says that one serving (6 capsules) provides 2.4 grams of soluble fiber.

There are other very similar-looking bottles that have psyllium husk but that also contain other medications for constipation, intended for humans. I would be very careful about reading the label of any psyllium husk product you buy, and would stick with the plain 100% psyllium husk unless a vet tells you otherwise. The bottles look very similar, and even after years of buying it, I have managed to get the wrong product and had to return it.

I buy the plain psyllium husk capsules at Walmart and Walgreens, and I buy the store brands as they are cheaper than the big-name brand (Metamucil).

I use a pair of scissors to snip off the end of the capsule over the sink or wastebasket, as a little bit of the powder puffs out when I do it. I mash the powder into the canned food and mix it up a bit and my cat doesn't seem to notice it at all, but then, he's never been a super-picky eater.

If your cat doesn't eat all the food within a short time frame, you might want to throw it out, as I don't know if the fiber expands over time when it comes in contact with moisture, and could perhaps cause a choking hazard.

If you're giving it by syringe and mixing it with water, I wonder if you'll be able to see if it starts to "gel up," which I would think could pose a hazard. I'm thinking maybe you will be able to tell visually that it's thickening, and that it needs more water added.

Hope this is helpful,

Margaret

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Feline Constipation

More than you ever thought you'd need to know about the feline GI tract, plus how to treat constipation in same, including info on psyllium. Start low, go slow with 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon in a meal.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Michele&Errol

Michele&Errol Member

thanks for the info :) i have got the powder in a big sachet. Can't get capsules here unfortunately, so I'm erring on the side of caution and giving less than 1/8 of a teaspoon and will increase if all goes well.

Instructions for human consumption are 2 teaspoons to 300mls of water so I'm concerned that putting it in kitty's food isn't going to ensure enough water intake even though food is raw and wet??

5. Michele&Errol

Michele&Errol Member

What are your thoughts on Psyllium not ''feeding'' the good gut bacteria and therefore not being the best choice..?

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If there is a possibility that your cat has megacolon, you want to avoid the psyllium, as it makes more volume to store. You might be better off with Miralax.

7. Missy & Kitty

Missy & Kitty Member

I know you didn't ask, but plain canned pumpkin (not the spiced kind) is very good for constipation as it draws moisture into the bowel. A tiny bit of high-quality coconut oil is also helpful in getting things moving. Slippery Elm Bark is good for constipation/diarrhea/nausea. If all else fails, MiraLax is safe for diabetic cats, but it only works on newly forming stools. According to the felincecrf website, you should keep an eye on BG levels when adding fiber since it may reduce blood sugar levels.

8. Missy & Kitty

Missy & Kitty Member

Oh, did you say that you are feeding raw food? If I remember correctly, most raw foods can cause constipation because of the high bone content. Rad Cat raw food uses crushed egg shells instead, so it shouldn't cause that problem. Which brand are you using?

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

It may be the calcium in the bone (and eggshells) that contributes to constipation. It can in humans as well.

10. Michele&Errol

Michele&Errol Member

Wish we got canned pumpkin here. I've got some SEB powder and given that as well as Milk Thistle (for her liver) which the only side-effect of seems to be diarrhea so therefore not too serious if overdosed in her case. If the SEB doesn't work, i'll try the coconut oil.

I was feeding raw, but for various reasons started feeding 50% canned. I have since stopped feeding canned altogether (the vet suggested it might be the cause, and i am 100% certain the canned caused the kidney and liver issues due to a bad batch which i have sent off for testing.. incompatability or toxicity of something in the processed food).
    I am making my own raw food according the the diets of Dr Pierson & Feline Nutrition.
    Funny, one of my cats had a milder negative reaction to the batch of canned food in that he had bad black diarrhea for 2 days. Well, as SOON as i put him back on raw only his diarrhea cleared up, as did the dog who had eaten the tinned cat leftovers.

11. Missy & Kitty

Missy & Kitty Member

Bummer that you can't get canned pumpkin where you are! Is it possible to order it online? You can freeze the pumpkin in ice cube trays or just drop one teaspoon bits onto a wax paper covered cookie sheet and freeze them, and then you can put them in an airtight container. I just warm them up for a few seconds whenever it's needed. It's wonderful to have around, and all of my pets love the flavor.

Oh, wow! What food were you feeding? I have a cat with kidney disease, and I have been feeding him Evo 95% Turkey and Chicken, and several flavors of the Weruva brand. He loves his new food, and it's low carb and low phosphorus. I wanted to make the raw diet Dr. Pierson talks about, but I couldn't find any of the meat she was talking about. I live in a really rural part of Arkansas. I ordered Rad Cat instead, but he wouldn't touch it. Thankfully, my outdoor cats love it, so they have been eating it up. :D

Poor babies! Black stool typically suggests that blood is present. I'm so glad it cleared up and they have been fine since. That canned food sounds horrible!

12. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Plain squash works too, if you can't get pumpkin.

Look at frozen or baby food with no added stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.