prozinc/my cat logan

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Logan & Sandy, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

my kitty logan,, i had the 1st curve done at my vet's (Mother lode vet) thurs last week 11/19. i fed him at 650AM (takes him 20 mins to eat 2-2.5 small cans of fancy feast and dosed him at 735am with 1 unit of prozinc. they tested him at 935am- 577, 1135am- 583 135pm- 524 and 335pm 641. they said, they kept him in a quiet private room away from the hustle and bustle of the vets and in fact told me he was sleeping.. verdict raise him up to 2 units of prozinc and another curve is scheduled for tues dec 1st. she emphased no food between, unless its just a tiny bit.. eg quarter size to take edge off. currently i am not testing at home, but that will change. i have bought a relion tester w/poker and strips..etc.. my QUESTION IS; FEED LOGAN MORE FOOD BETWEEN THE 12 HOURS?? my vet did tell me to feed him bigger meals in AM at 645AM AND BIGGER MEAL AT 645PM.. He currently eats 2, 2.5 little cans of either fussy cat/tuna or 2,-2.5 cans of fancy feast pate/classic,, . and he is rail thin.. i'm a newbie here and am trying to do the right thing,, Logan is about 10.. nexxt step for me will be home testing.

Attached Files:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I let my cat eat whenever she wants, just no food 2 hours prior to the preshot test so the number is not food influenced. Most of us feed several smaller meals per day.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  3. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

So it doesn’t hurt the cat during the 2 main feedings to free feed? I thought he needed the shot of insulin after he eats...

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

I still feed before the shot, but I also feed mid day. Then I feed before the pm shot, and give more before bed

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

What about it damaging the small blood vessels .....

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Huh!???

More food isn't going to damage the small blood vessels.

Sticky New? How You Can Help Us Help You!

Getting some information set up in your User Id would be of great help. Click on the link above to see how you can help us to help you better.

By the way, this forum tends to be a bit quieter. There are basically 2 of us to help all the Prozinc users. Posting over in the Feline Health forum is always a good alternative, when replies here are a bit slow. Lots of people there to get you started with the basics.

While you are here in the Prozinc forum, it's a great idea to take a look at the "Sticky" or pinned posts at the top of the forum. Great idea to print them out too, so you can reread them and have copies to refer to.

7. JanetNJ

What are you talking about? How in the world would eating damage blood vessels?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

what i mean is if his blood spikes! and the food can't get into the cells cuzz of little insulin it floats around in the blood and could damage sm. blood vessels..if i understand this correctly.. but i have decided to give him sm. bits of pure protein..eg human tunafish to help keep the edge off of his hunger. then when its ti.e for him 2 eat i feed him as much as he wants..

Deb & Wink likes this.
  9. JanetNJ

Food doesn't go into blood cells. Nutrients (vitamins and minerals) from food and the actual food are not the same thing. The food Is in the digestive tract. The stomach and small and large intestines. Undigested food gets eliminated in the cats waste, the poo and pee, and is not floating around in his blood. You won't harm your cat by feeding him. Unregulated cats actually tend to need MORE food than normal because their bodies can not properly utilize the nutrients in the food and so they are literally starving even though they are eating. Most of us find several smaller meals are better than two big meals.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Deb & Wink likes this.
  10. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

Thx.. I didn’t really describe it the correct way.. but your explanation is better.

11. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

I thought that with not enough insulin the food can’t enter the cells and then can possibly hurt the tiny vessels.. all this is so new for me.. I hope to start testing this week

Pookie (GA) likes this.
  12. JanetNJ

It may make them nutrient deficit if they aren't utilizing the nutrients properly, but it can't physically harm blood vessels.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  13. Logan & Sandy

Logan & Sandy Member

thanks you guys for all of your responses.. i appreiciate it.. i've decided to give logan some food thru,out the day,, to take the edge off,,