? Pricking ear

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by racn1320, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racn1320

racn1320 Member

I have the relion tester and have been pricking her ear manually with my hand holding the lancet,for some reason today was harder to get blood out,i was thinking about trying the device thatbcame with the kit to prick her ear but first wanted to ask if this is easier or harder? will it go threw her ear? i have no clue on how i would set it to wear it may do any damage to her ear. thankfully todays test altho difficut and had to prick her a few times was her lowest number yet hear at home!

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I also use the lancet manually, although I have used the lancing device, as well. Some cats do not like the noise the device makes. If you are going to try it, start out with the lowest setting (smallest part of lancet piercing the ear) and see how it goes; if it's not enough, try the next setting, and so on. I prefer free-handing it because I feel like I have more control, and I find it difficult to see the site well when using the device.

3. racn1320

racn1320 Member

The setting at the small line or the long line? which cap do you use? white or clear? im using 26 guage thin lancets. i feel when i keep trying to prick her ear her numbers are prob going up bc she is getting uncomfy?

4. Squalliesmom

The small line would be the setting where the least amount of lancet protrudes, that's the one I would start with. Cats apparently have very few nerve endings in the edges of their ears - makes sense, when you think about it, as they are vulnerable to damage - so she probably isn't really uncomfortable with the pricking; she may just not like having her ears messed with. My cat doesn't particularly like having his ears messed with, and he also doesn't like the beep from the meter. I doubt she's in enough discomfort to drive her bg up, unless it turns into a real wrestling match. :)

5. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Yea mine loves her ears rubbed but not pricked lol,she flinched a few times like ouch that hurt. are you using the clear end or white end on device? thx

6. Squalliesmom

The clear one.

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Poking through doesn't damage the ear. I poke all the way through probably 30% of the time. doesn't seem to bother her.

Squalliesmom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.