Preshot 69!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sofina & Chester, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Sofina & Chester

Sofina & Chester Member

Hello everyone!

Yesterday I tried upping chesters dose(2.75u) and he went too low(41) so I lowered him back to his original dose(2.5u), with one caveat; from now on I will be squirting some out of the syringe to help get rid of air bubbles for a more accurate dose. My vet didn’t advise me to do this at first.

the reason I’m posting right now is because we’ve never had to deal with a preshot under 100 and he’s down to 69! Should I skip his shot tonight?

ps: I’m pretty sure shooting out the air bubble means it’s still technically a slight dose increase, I believe this is why even tho I’m at 2.5u again, he’s lower than before.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Sofina, with TR you can shoot any number over 50 provided you can monitor. Is that something you can do tonight? If not, you have the choice to skip. Alternatively, you can shoot a token dose but you would still have to monitor him.

Have you fed him? If not, can you test again to see if he is falling?

An air bubble in the syringe would definitely affect the accuracy of the dose. What we do is to draw a little more insulin (say 1/2 unit) more than the dose, flick the syringe (with the needle pointed upward) so that the air bubbles go to the top (base of the needle) and then push out the air bubbles and measure the correct dose (without air bubbles).

Bellasmom likes this.
  3. Sofina & Chester

Sofina & Chester Member

Yes I can monitor him tonight. I figured I’d be staying up with him tonight anyway. So you’re saying I should still give him the full dose provided I keep a close eye? Or should I lower it?

4. Bandit's Mom

You have taken the reduction to 2.5. If you can monitor him, you can shoot the full dose.
    Has he eaten?

5. Sofina & Chester

Sofina & Chester Member

Okay 30 minutes later and he’s up to 86! I think I’m gonna go ahead and give him his dose.

yes he’s back at 2.5 but a more accurate 2.5

and no he hasn’t eaten I’m about to feed him now

6. Bandit's Mom

Good! He is up, you can feed him and shoot the full dose.
    Will be an exciting night for you! :)

If your 2.5 had air bubbles till now, you might have actually been shooting a lower dose. So I won't be surprised if Chester heads for a reduction soon!

7. Sofina & Chester

Sofina & Chester Member

That was my thinking as well which is why I figured I’d be staying up tonight anyway. Yes I’m very excited for these next few days and just slightly nervous this is the first time Chester has been so low without having a bounce. Crossing my fingers tonight for sure!

thank you for your help as always:)

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  8. Bandit's Mom

Some cats respond very well to insulin and flatten out faster than others. Chester seems to be one of them. Fingers crossed!
    It's good if you can keep up the momentum :)

Could you keep the title updated with the latest BG numbers, please?

Sofina & Chester likes this.
  9. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member