Possible rescue burmese/pancreatitis?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ann & Liz, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Liz

Ann & Liz Member

Hi, We are interested in offering a home to a 16y Burmese cat. He is going to be vet checked this week before we travel to meet him probably next weekend. The query we have is that apparantly he was possibly diagnosed a few years ago with pancreatitis as he was vomiting. The rescue advise that he currently is eating well and seems well but does seem to vomit if he eats too many biscuits at once. Is the vet likely to be able to come to any conclusion about his pancreas if he does not have acute pancreatitis now. Could he have a chronic form of pancreatitis.? What would the symptoms be?. If so what diet should we be aiming for? Sorry a few questions but we want to be able to do the best for him. There is no thought that he has diabetes at present although this will be checked at vets I am sure this week.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing. If a cat is not having a pancreatitis episode when the test is given, will it show up? HERES some info for you to check out and hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along and answer your questions. I wonder though, if the only time he barfs is after gulping kibble, maybe it’s just scarf & barf, and you just need to feed him more slowly. Of course the best diet for any kitty is low carb wet.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

That’s so admirable that you are thinking of adopting a senior. Chronic pancreatitis ebbs and wanes. Symptoms vary from just not acting right to inappetence, pain, vomiting and diarrhea. Max had it for 7 years and at one time or another had all the symptoms but mostly became inappetent. If you look at the primer Marje put together, read the Roundtable article. I’ve posted a few others as well on the main forum but it’s been awhile. Treatment for pancreatitis is basically to treat the symptoms. Buprenorphine for pain, cerenia or ondansetron for nausea. In between episodes Max didn’t need any treatments.

4. tiffmaxee

5. Ann & Liz

Ann & Liz Member

Yes will definitely be on a wet diet, thank you for the link really useful info.

Sharon14 likes this.
  6. Ann & Liz

Ann & Liz Member

Thank you for reply and info link, very useful info. He has been for his vet check and has to have a dental next week so they will also have a full range of bloods taken to give an idea of his health status at least, they are also going to x ray his pancreas area so hopefully that may also be useful. We are looking forward to meeting him at the weekend and all being well providing love and a home for him soon.

Sharon14 likes this.
  7. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

Quintus has chronic pancreatitis. He's Asian, so derived from Burmese (don't know if there is a breed issue here). His fPLi are through the roof. He's largely asymptomatic. Don't know if this helps, but feel free to ask questions!

8. Ann & Liz

Ann & Liz Member

Well definitely Burmese have a highuge incidence of diabetes so it may link with a higher rate of pancreas issues too maybe. Will probably have more questions when we have collected him, have a couple of weeks to prepare as he has to have dental next week.

9. tiffmaxee

Diabetes and kidney disease can elevate the SpecFPL Max likely
    became diabetic after years of chronic pancreatitis. His episodes decreased after he was diagnosed. I know I caught it early as he had lots of blood panels over the years. He was often high normal but that was likely stress and his urine was always free of glucose until he became diabetic. I thought he was getting CKD at the time because he was urinating more often which is why I got the test strips, found glucose, and saw my vet the next day.

Ann & Liz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.