Possible reason to seek a second opinion? (RE: Diabetes Diagnosis)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by LUT605, Sep 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LUT605

LUT605 New Member

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Reason for edit: ....
    jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

WELCOME TO OUR FORUM
    Do you know if they ran a fructosemine (sp) test? That would determine if your cat actually HAS diabetes. Also a diabetic is ravenous and puts out a copious amount of urine. His litter box would be full of sticky clumps.

It sounds to me like you need a second opinion. When you shop for a new vet be sure to let them know of his dx

400 dollars is way too much for insulin. Was that price including the tests and the vet visit? (what is the name of this insulin they prescribed?)

Hold on for more replies we will help you get this sorted.
    Again we are glad you found us,
    jeanne

Panic likes this.
  3. jt and trouble (GA)

Absolutely can raise BG

4. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Hello!

So, kitty had no diabetic symptoms? Ravenous appetite, excessive drinking/peeing/accidents? A cat CAN go from being fine, getting sick, and getting knocked into diabetes (or out of remission, if kitty is diabetic but no longer on insulin). My kitty was fine one day, got terribly sick all of a sudden, and became diabetic. But I highly suspect that was a bout of pancreatitis, not a runny nose.

Stress from the vet, any sort of illness, and ESPECIALLY bad teeth can raise BG. You need to find out how they determined he was diabetic. Did they run a fructosamine, or just check blood sugar at the clinic?
    Edit: See they only checked BG at the time? Baloney, that's not good enough. Stress from a vet visit ALONE can raise BG by 200 points.

Have you started insulin? I suggest purchasing a glucometer and strips in the morning (if you are in the US go to Walmart and pick up a ReliOn Prime, test strips, and lancets) and check at home. Just a BG test at the vet is not reason to assume a cat is diabetic.

5. jt and trouble (GA)

I was just coming back to include that THANKS Elizabeth!

Panic likes this.
  6. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Higher glucose readings could be caused by an infection pain and even stress. Most cats have elevated glucose readings when tested at the vet. A fructosomine test is needed to diagnose diabetes. That gives an average of the glucose levels over several days.

7. jt and trouble (GA)

My cat drank his water bowl to nothing several times a day

8. jt and trouble (GA)

Go buy yourself a Relion meter at walmart if it comes with strips even better. prick his ear in the comfort of hs own home (no bet stress) if indeed this was a misdiagnoses you can either keep the meter (just in case or donate it here.)

WE can walk you through how to test .

Critter Mom and Panic like this.
  9. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

If he needs a dental, he would be uncomfortable eating. Unregulated diabetics cry for food all the time. $55 for one blood test is insane, you can buy at-home supplies for cheaper than that.
    I would hold off on any more insulin, your vet sounds like they jumped the gun big time.

I recommend purchasing a meter and strips (if you get the ReliOn Prime, the meter is $9 and I believe you can get a 50-pack of strips for $9. I think the 25-pack is discontinued). Get some vaseline, Neosporin + pain relief (ointment, NOT cream) and we can show you how to test at home. A test in your home is going to be more accurate than the vet. It sounds like he needs a dental and to get over the URI.

10. jt and trouble (GA)

AGREE!

11. jt and trouble (GA)

no vet stress will cause a high number. the "test" gives a reading for a week or so many days.

12. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Absolutely not.

Fructosamines are an average of BG over the past few weeks. If it is elevated, that's reason for concern. However a high BG test like your clinic did can be affected by stress (and it WILL be elevated in a vet clinic). It can also be elevated from illness and dental issues. If your cat needs a dental, the levels will be elevated. If he's in a vet clinic, the numbers will be elevated. But that doesn't mean he is insulin-deficient. If you cat is not showing diabetic symptoms to begin with ... the likelihood of diabetes is basically zero.

13. jt and trouble (GA)

Find a new Vet and I think his infection has not cleared up. I know its nuts but we have seen it all here. smh.

Panic likes this.
  14. jt and trouble (GA)

call and ask them... I doubt they forgot to charge you for something they did. I guess it could have been included but Ive NEVER heard that in all the years Ive been here

15. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

It depends on the vet clinic, some send it off I think, but others can do it in-house. Call and find out and ASK to be sent a copy so we can see it. I still wouldn't give insulin just yet. What does your invoice say they did? Can we see a copy?

16. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Most clinics have to send it off to get a fructosamine.

I agree with everything that's been said....I'd grab a meter and test him at home to see what his BG is when he's not stressed out.

17. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

That's wild. She didn't comment on him being underweight or anything?

I suspect the dental disease is the cause behind all this.

18. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Still think it's the dental. How's his appetite? If his teeth hurt he won't want to eat, which would explain the weight loss. How much does he weigh and how much should he weigh?

19. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Do keep us updated!

20. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

You are entitled to a copy of all lab work. Ask for it.

Do not give insulin to your cat until you see the lab work (you can post it here, giving the reference range as well) and you are testing the cat yourself.
    For a few dollars, you can get the Relion meter from Walmart. We'll help you learn how to test.

21. jt and trouble (GA)

Thats true. If a cat cant smell his food...its NOT food. (to them)

Panic likes this.
  22. Red & Rover (GA)

Try warming the food. It smells more. And raise the dish 4-6 inches. No one wants to bend over with a noseful.

23. jt and trouble (GA)

Its OK stuff happens. We can guide you... I STILL would ask for a copy of that test result.

Critter Mom likes this.
  24. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

What bloodwork was it?

25. Red & Rover (GA)

Wait a minute.
    How much insulin and which insulin?

26. jt and trouble (GA)

THATS what we are here for Lut605 IF you share a name with us. I'm TERRIBLE with numbers!:p

27. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Truth be told I'm not sure if fructosamines are part of routine bloodwork? I'm looking at my copy for Panic's and it's showing elevated glucose but I don't know if that's a one-off test or the same as a fructosamine.

28. jt and trouble (GA)

I think it depends on the vet and the billing

29. Red & Rover (GA)

How much insulin and what insulin?

Critter Mom and Panic like this.
  30. jt and trouble (GA)

ok guys im starting to see crossed eyed I need to take a nap. oi

Panic likes this.
  31. Red & Rover (GA)

Please do not give insulin until you have a meter and can test. A day too high is not as dangerous as a minute too low.
    Breathe. Feline diabetes is not as bad as you think. It doesn't happen with every cat, but there have been over 400 cats here have gone into remission since 2008.
    It is, however, a steep learning curve. We can help you learn and help you establish a routine. There is an absolute wealth of experience and researched information on this forum.

32. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I don’t think a fructosamine can be run in a vet’s office. It needs to be sen to a lab. Get a copy of all tests done now and in the last month emailed to you.

A important question had been asked twice. What insulin and how much was given?

33. Chris & China (GA)

Most complete blood panels and senior blood panels don't include a fructosamine. It has to be ordered special if the vet wants it.

Just having an elevated glucose doesn't necessarily mean anything.

If you do end up with a sugarcat, that's what we're all here for! To help you learn how to treat it and give your kitty a long and healthy life! A diabetic cat can live as long as any other cat if their diabetes is controlled....and some lucky cats can even go into remission!

jt and trouble (GA) and Panic like this.
  34. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

My vet clinic could run them in-house.

Will be interested in the dosage amount. Can't imagine it not being Lantus at the $400 price.

35. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Interesting. Maybe mine could but he preferred to send labs out.

36. Chris & China (GA)

Yeah, that's a Lantus or Levemir price in the US.

@LUT605 ....if it's Lantus, Basaglar or Levemir and your cat is for sure diabetic, you can get them much cheaper from Canada. Most of us are these days!

Here's the information on Buying insulin from Canada

You'll have more than enough if you got a 10ml vial for awhile though! It should last you at least 4-6 months if kept in the fridge

37. Chris & China (GA)

If you paid $400 for ProZinc, whoever sold it to you really ripped you off. You can buy it on Chewy for $106

2U is actually a higher starting dose than we recommend. Most cats should be started at .5 to 1U and slowly increased as needed while home testing to see how well the dose is working

38. jt and trouble (GA)

Lut... Its going to be ok. We can walk you through the learning process. LET US. Its what we are all here for. We HAVE been in your shoes. There was always someone here when I needed help and believe me I was GLUED to this computer screen.
    You can do this.
    j

Critter Mom likes this.
  39. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

2 units is too much, please only give 0.5 to start. This is the biggest issue we have when new members come here, the vets start at too high a dose and cause problems that take weeks to clear up.

Still would like to see those lab results, please.

40. jt and trouble (GA)

Elizabeth is right. Look at it this way. When a "Vet to be" gets educated in college they spend maybe half a day on diabetes less than that on FELINE diabetes. Its really not their fault. They just dont get the proper education because there are SO many other things to learn.
    They go by a outdated book to make their assumptions and treatments.

Panic likes this.
  41. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I know everything is overwhelming right now, but I promise it does not take long before that feeling will go away and you will feel you are in control again. You already received great advice and I am going add some and summarize it to make it easier for you.

1. Relax and breathe!!! I know this is hard to even consider right now but you have a lot of support right now.

2. Get copies of all lab work quickly. Even if you have to pick up the copies of they cannot email them to you. Share them with us so we can advise you.

3. Before you give any more insulin, make sure your cat eats and lower the dose to 1/2 unit. Right now do not give more than that. We also recommend that you home test. You can use any human glucose meter to test. If you are in the US the Walmart Relion meters are good and the strips are not expensive. You would test before every shot. Don't worry we can teach you.

4. Tell us what foods you cat is eating, including wet and dry.

5. Schedule the dental for your cat. Infections caused by bad teeth can also infect the sinuses. Your cat may need to be on a different antibiotic.

6. If you want to change vets let us know where you live. We may have members near you that can recommend a vet for you.

You have found the best place you never want to be. Everyone on this board has had at least one diabetic cat and many of us have had multiple ones that we adopted knowing they are diabetic. So there is a lot of experienced people here to help you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.