PMPS 188 give insulin?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Marianne M, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Marianne M

Marianne M Member

We are on Prozinc and I read that if the BG was under 200 not to give insulin. Mango's #'s have in the good range for the last two days after two days of bouncing. Should I give his 2.75 dose, decrease or not shoot?

2. Peacock

Peacock Member

I am only a few months into this, not experienced in coaching on this, but looking at your kitty's spreadsheet I would probably give a half dose. That is based on the ketones situation, and looking at how Mango has responded to various doses. I think I full dose could bring Mango too low. I think skipping could send him back up too high. I would plan to check BG during the cycle, probably at +3 and +6, whatever the decision on dosing, if possible.

Djamila likes this.
  3. Marianne M

Marianne M Member

Thank you for a reply. He is negative for ketones. I will give him half a dose or less. Again thanks!

4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

The rule about not giving insulin under 200 is when folks are new, don't have a lot of data, and are still getting used to testing. You have plenty of data, and are testing frequently enough, that I would suggest the next time you get a number like this, try stalling about 30 minutes and test again to see if the BG is rising. If it is, you can give the full dose, or just a small reduction. Then keep monitoring like you usually do to make sure Mango stays in safe numbers.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Backing on Djamila's post... when we suggest stalling for 20-30 minutes, that means you do the first test and if he's <200 you do NOT feed while you're waiting. The idea is to see if they're rising on their own without food influencing :). Looks like sticking with half the dose last night will keep him from bouncing too high on the trampoline :smuggrin: and that the 3.0U may have been the dose to break his insulin wall.

Um that High Ketones note... is that a mistake?? :nailbiting: If not, you really need to test him again for them. Ketones are no joke.