Please help me save my cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by randomsomeone24, Mar 8, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. randomsomeone24

randomsomeone24 New Member

My cat Max has been diabetic for about 3 years. I have tried to control it (two daily doses of ProZinc, low carb wet, "diabetic dry")

The past month has been a struggle. For the past 2-3 weeks Max refuses to eat any kinds of cat food. He will only eat baby food. There are days where he won't even eat that.

His numbers are all over the place (from 80 to low 400's)

He has been to four vets. They can find nothing. All blood work comes back normal (other then diabetes). He has had a ultrasound. Vet suggested I try Mirtazapine. It made him very sleepy and "out of it"

He suffers from feline tooth resorption. He has his canines and a few teeth left.

He has always been a "puker". Lately it is thick (I think it's bile)

I would really appreciate some advice. I will do anything for my friend. If I failed to include important info please let me know and I will reply ASAP. It has been a rough few weeks for me but especially for him.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.
    I'm sorry you are having trouble with getting Max to eat.
    It is really important that cats eat, especially diabetic cats as they can run into other serious health issues if they don't eat.
    Did the vets test for pancreatitis? the tests .. .a fPLsnap or fPL Spec are not in with the normal routine blood tests and need to be specifically done separately.
    If one of these was not done, I would recommend you ask for one of them.
    If it is pancreatitis which can present as loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy and abdominal pain, he will need medications for pain, nausea and probably some sub Q fluids as he could be dehydrated.

Are you home testing the blood glucose?

Link to A PRIMER ON PANCREATITIS

Link to SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO STIMULATE KITTY'S APPETITE

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm sorry you're going through all of this with your kitty. Did the vets tell you what they were looking for and do you know what labs or tests they ran?

You would know if your cat was vomiting bile. It's an ugly yellowy-orange color and it smells awful. Did the vets try to make sure that your cat didn't swallow anything that may be obstructing your cat's intestinal track. It can be difficult to figure that out. (My cat swallowed dental floss which is a terrible thing for a cat to ingest. It was only pure luck that a small piece was wedged between her teeth and an ER vet happened to see it. My cat was unable to hold down food and was vomiting bile.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.