Petunia 8/29

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Barbara, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

For those that did not see my thread on Health last night. I had a diabetic who went to the rainbow bridge around 2012, not from diabetes! I now have a new diabetic DX yesterday last night was her first shot. I do not have a spreadsheet for her yet so I will post what happened here.
    8/28
    PMPS 295
    1 unit
    +2 68 1/2 can gravy food
    +2.5 66 so got at the most 1/2 tsp KARO in her
    +3 89
    +3.5 156
    +4.5 229
    +5.5 231
    8/29
    AMPS 354 reduced dose to .50

planning on checking at +2 again & hope this dose doesn’t drop her so low. She’s fighting me some...no where near as easy as Thumper was. :(

Barbara & Petunia

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I cant give dosing advice but it looks like you gotz this! ;):coffee:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  3. Barbara

Can't manage to set up my SS right so I'm going to have to wait on some help!
    +6 128

Deb & Wink and Shelley & Jess like this.
  4. Barbara

Got her SS working! I need to go read the protocol but I think even though she's in the 300's at shot time I'm supposed to stick with the .5 dose I reduced to after her drop last night at 1 unit? Will get one more test in before shot time.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Yes, don't let that pink pre-shot fool you into upping the dose too soon! She dipped to a nice number today. :)

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Petunia has her own SS (spreadsheet) going! Good job.

Petunia is likely bouncing, from those lows, both the greens last night 8/28/20 and the blues today during the AM cycle 8/29/20.

Here is the definition of bouncing, and some more information about it. Copied this directly from the
    Sticky GENERAL INFORMATION AND IMPORTANT LINKS—PLEASE READ, right here in the Prozinc ISG forum. Look at the top of the forum for those "Sticky" or pinned posts.

Bouncing
    Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce”. It should be noted that “bouncing” is a term we use in the FDMB and might not be recognized elsewhere.

Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast.The pancreas, then the liver, release glucagon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver". *Usually*, a bounce will clear kitty's system within 3 days (6 cycles). You cannot avoid all bouncing. It is normal and natural, and frustrating. There are some things to keep in mind that can help though:
    • Following a bounce, a cat’s BG may stay high and flat for several cycles. Avoid the temptation to increase the dose at this point. If the BG does not return to normal in 6-8 cycles, an increase might be needed based on the method of regulation you are following.
    • Some vets might have little/no understanding of the bouncing phenomenon. Consequently they will look at a single BG number or a single in-office curve and change the dose without realizing that they could be looking at a bounce number, or a high-flat cycle following a bounce, and increasing the dose will make it worse.
    • There is also a common misconception, often by vets, that bouncing is caused by chronic Somogyi rebound. Michael Somogyi published one paper based on a very small number of human diabetic subjects on the topic in 1938 in a local St. Louis medical journal. There has been no replication of the research and, in fact, anyone that has attempted to replicate the research with humans failed to find similar results. The research has never been done with cats and, just as importantly, has never been done with cats (or humans) using a long-acting insulin.
    • When it’s not a bounce: in general, during a cycle, the blood glucose should decrease for a few hours, and then begin to increase again. If you plot the numbers on a graph, they should look like a smile. This rise in BG towards the end of the cycle is normal. It is not bouncing. As a cat gets better regulated, the cycle will get a little flatter and the PS numbers will decrease, but in the beginning, it can feel like that rise at the end is a bounce. It often isn’t. It’s just the insulin losing duration. As you slowly reach a better dose for your cat, the insulin will last longer and the numbers will look better.

7. Barbara

+2 is 169 hoping she doesn’t drop too low again!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Barbara

Deb & Wink likes this.
  9. Barbara

Geez I think I even messed that post up! Besides the stress of dealing with her I’ve forgotten most of how to navigate the board!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  10. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

It will come back to you. You're doing fine, and so is Petunia on this lower 0.5U Prozinc insulin dose.

There is a nice post in the Announcements & How to use the FDMB forum that you may find useful, to help you navigate.
    This is the one I'm talking about >>>>> Sticky HOW-TO USE THE FDMB: The Basics

It's one of the many valuable "Sticky" or pinned posts in the various forums. Simply click on the blue text, and you will be taken to that link. You may need to log on again. The system has some quirks, and I have to do that "log on again", when I click on a link.

p.s. No worries. Since I've been here, the forum software has changed at least 3 times and lots of people had to relearn how to do some things. You aren't the only one that needs to learn their way around the message board. Hence, that "Sticky" I pointed you to.

Barbara likes this.