Pet sitter, looking for advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kura, Oct 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kura

Kura New Member

Hi there! I'm a pet sitter and one of my regular customer's cat (Bud) was diagnosed with diabetes caused by medication in February 2019. So he's not my cat, I see him at random intervals, and I get any information about feeding and insulin dosage from his owner and she is the one that taught me how to give him his shot. This is my first time dealing with a cat with diabetes.

Between Feb 2019 and March 2020 I saw him for at least a few days every month (between a weekend to over a week), two feedings and two shots a day with no troubles. Then in July 2020, after a long break not seeing him, I was watching him for a few days when one shot I gave made him flinch. He didn't cry or run, but he noticeably flinched. His owner had to return early because he didn't trust me touching him at shot time the next day.

Since then I've been back a few times but I've been a little too careful trying to give him shots, a bit slow and nervous. So I was hoping to get some advice and understand maybe what I've done wrong so I'm a bit more confident again.

1. What could cause a cat to flinch/feel pain from a shot? I don't know what i did differently that day which has thrown me off.
    2. Ive been instructed to give shots between the shoulder blades. However even there Bud has the least stretchy skin of any cat I've ever met, sometimes it's difficult to make a 'tent' at all, let alone a good one with one hand. Any tips for this? This is probably my biggest problem.
    3. What are the signs of one or two missed doses? There have been times that I worried I didn't actually get the needle in (he has thick black fur, hard to see anything) but he gets such a small dose (currently 1unit, though the past few months it's been as low as .5) I couldn't be sure if his skin was moist. I'd like to just have a gauge on what to look out for with missed doses.
    To be perfectly clear, I do talk to his owner about these things too and she's always in the loop when I have trouble. But this was also new and a learning curve for her, and I dont talk directly to his vet. I thought maybe you all might have some further insights.

Also: Since he's not my pet I don't have all the info on him but if more would be helpful I can provide what I know. However I don't expect/want medical or feeding advice, I have to listen to his owner first and foremost. My questions are solely about the mechanics of giving the shot itself and signs of incorrect dosages.

Thank you!

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

1. If the insulin had been changed (to a different one), if it was too cold, or? Hes a cat.
    2. The more relaxed the cat the looser the skin. or? hes a cat
    3. If its fur shot you should be able to feel it, take a good whiff. Insulin has a distinct smell (especially lantus PU!)
    Or? hes a cat..:rolleyes::p

I'm SURE there will be more replies so stay tuned;)

WELCOME TO FDMB The best darn site on this planet to learn everything you need to know about feline diabetes.:bighug:
    jeanne

Pookie (GA) likes this.
  3. Kura

Kura New Member

Hahaha, that's totally fair, I know. I see plenty of cats, every one has their own "something" that makes them weird for sure.

I hadn't considered temperature as a factor before. I typically try to give the shot soon out of the fridge because I frankly don't know how long of a 'shelf life' it has. Is it okay to let it sit out, and for how long?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. jt and trouble (GA)

are you drawing from a vile? draw the insulin, put vile away, let sit on counter 5-10 mins or hold it in your hands to warm a bit.

Kura likes this.
  5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Kura,

Here is a thread that might have some helpful info:

Home Testing and Injection Tips

Impossible to say for certain, but bearing in mind that you had been giving injections without any problem in the past there is the chance that it might have been a syringe issue. Sometimes there can be problems with the tips of needles. Some can be dull, and because they don't slip through the skin as easily the injection can hurt.

To rebuild your confidence, maybe you could practice injecting water into an orange? (It's what a vet taught me to practice on.)

Here's a thread that might have some ideas:

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/problem-with-lantus-injections.152537/

The only thing you can do in the moment is to check for any wetness on the fur and also sniff the area where you were trying to give the injection to see whether you can smell any insulin. (Lantus in particular has a very distinctive aroma - it strongly smells of 'something medical', if you get my meaning.)

Mogs

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Reason for edit: Grammar.
    Kura, Nakikki and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  6. jt and trouble (GA)

it stinks ughhghh

Nakikki and Critter Mom like this.
  7. Nakikki

Nakikki Member

Yeah it really does smell. I've never missed a shot before, but I assume if you can hang around Bud and feel for a wet patch and/or a smell, you should be able to catch it if it's happened. If you want to check so you know the smell for sure, maybe you can draw just a little smidge and squirt it out in the sink. But if you ever smell it, you'll notice. It's different... like weirdly off rubbing alcohol with a medically yuck zing to it.

I don't know why Bud would flinch, and I'm very inexperienced, so my only advice is to take note if it happens again. If you're having trouble tenting the skin, maybe see if you can get the owner to do it with you without doing a shot? Just handle the skin and give treats. Might help you find the best way to do it, plus help with the nerves.

It's normal (for my cat, at least) to flinch while tenting the skin and get a bit nervous. I have to make sure I'm calm, let him go, give pats, give him a chance to adjust, and then try again. He usually gives up after a few tries. There's a noticeable difference if I'm nervous, he'll just completely run away. He's an anxiousness detector. So I'd say just try to be calm and confident and assume whatever happened before won't happen again. All the best!

8. jt and trouble (GA)

My husband uses Lantus I can smell that stuff all through the house HOURS later. It actually makes me wheeze. :rolleyes:

Critter Mom and Nakikki like this.
  9. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

Bandaids. Lantus smells like a giant box of the old Bandaids we used as kids. I've had 2 fur shots on Mouse, and boy did I know it.

Anywhoooo, I always figured that when Mouse flinched I accidently hit some of the underlying muscle or the needle was dull. Kuddos to you for taking such good care of you charge! You're an awesome petsitter! If you were in my area, I'd be happy to use you!

10. jt and trouble (GA)

AGREE!

Polgeria, Kura and Critter Mom like this.
  11. Kura

Kura New Member

Thank you all so much for your responses!

All was fine yesterday but he didn't appreciate the needle poke this evening. Maybe I went at a wrong angle because I again had trouble pulling up his skin to a comfortable tent, but he got his meds - and that's the important part, I know.

I have smelled the insulin before (yes, it is Lantus), but I've smelled it before even giving the injection, just holding the needle. Is that a sign of something I'm doing wrong or just something that happens sometimes?

Thank you!
    I gave the roll method a try (without the needle, just trying to get the hold), as actually seeing what I'm doing sounds spectacular lol, but I couldn't get a great hold with that either. Maybe I just need some practice though. I also don't think I understand where and what angle the needle is meant to go in doing it that way. Does anyone have maybe a video or other photos of using the roll method?

Yeah, I think a refresher course is a good idea. I'll remember to ask his owner before the next time I watch him.

12. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  13. Kura

Kura New Member

14. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

You might have trouble pulling the skin up because he's tense. Try giving lots of pets and love before tenting his skin and getting him to relax first, if you're not already. Another thing I used to do for Mouse was gentle shaking of her skin, I'm not sure how to describe it...I grabbed the part I was going to tent and wiggled it a bit to loosen it up before tenting. I don't have to do that as much now, which is why I say used to. When I first started giving her insulin it was like her skin was stuck to her body.

15. Critter Mom

That's a really good tip, Allison. I find that a very gentle fingertip massage of the shoulder area can be good for helping a cat to relax. Never thought about how it might help make it easier to draw up a tent before.

Mogs

16. Kura

Kura New Member

Him being tense is probably a big factor. He's a timid guy and doesn't exactly revel in attention most of the time (he doesn't hate it, he's just equally content sitting by himself). But I do give him pets and chin rubs until he's purring first, and recently I've also been breaking up treats and give him pieces to keep him in his spot (and give the remainder as a reward after).

"Skin stuck to his body" is exactly how I'd describe my issue with Bud, too. I'll have to give a little wiggle a try!

And thank you everyone again for all the tips, I've been keeping them in mind! I practiced handling a needle at home (didn't have an orange handy, but still acquainted myself with moving more quickly and confidently with what I could). I've been letting the shot sit for a bit so it's less cold, checked which way the bevel was facing, give lots of love and pets, and did my best with the tenting today. This morning was a perfectly flawless shot! Hopefully I'll be back on another year-long+ streak again soon [fingers crossed]

17. jt and trouble (GA)

wooo hoooooooooooo!
    KEEP UP THE GOOD FIGHT!

Polgeria and Kura like this.
  18. Polgeria

Polgeria Member

Awesome!! Glad to hear it went great! Again, you're an amazing pet sitter! The sugar baby couldn't be in better hands!

19. Critter Mom

Excellent! Really pleased, and great to hear you sounding happier about things. :)

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.