Peeks bloody/mucus stool

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Peter (Peeka&Boo), Oct 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Sorry for the lack of updates, crazy weekend. Peeka stool has been getting fairly less consistent over the last few days, culminating in tonight’s bloody, mucusy stool. She is acting fine, eating regularly, not vomiting. The emergency vet doesn’t seem to be much help and their in the door fee is $130, just to even see her. I’ve been giving her probiotics to hopefully help prevent pancreatitis again, but at this point I’m not sure how to proceed or what to do.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

I’ve already emailed to vet who took care of her for her pancreatitis. Her stool when I got home was slightly more firm than previous, with no mucus or anything. I’m hoping she calms down a little bit, but is there anything I can do in the morning time?

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Peter from what I understand which is little, the color of the blood can mean different things. I decided to look around and found this site https://www.cat-health-guide.org/blood-in-cat-stool.html
    I dont know if it will help but it explained the different reasons.
    Please know Peeka AND you are in my prayers, in hopes this is a one of...

Also I know everything is relative but here? An emergency "in the door" visit is $1,000.00. o_O

Please give the little princess some scritches from me.
    j

4. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Might have mistyped. It’s initially $162 just to see the animal, I’m operating off of 8 hours of sleep for the last 3 days :s. Not including any tests that may need to be run. She is still acting normal this morning, wanting food and everything, but there is definitely still some bloody mucus in her stool. I just took her to the litter and she produced a couple of stool droplets that had it in there.

5. jt and trouble (GA)

(((((Peeka))))) you too Peter...sigh If she is fine in herself then I would make an appointment with her regular vet. I KNOW none of this is ideal.
    Hopefully more members will chime in on this with better options. Its early here I'm trying to think of others who have dealt with like issues to tag.

Peter (Peeka&Boo) likes this.
  6. jt and trouble (GA)

7. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

I’m hoping that’s the case too, she just ate her breakfast with no problems and she woke me up earlier this morning for a snack. She is having BMs more frequently for sure. She typically goes twice a day and the last couple times last night and again this morning have been those kind of droplets mentioned above. The last one she just did was slightly more brown, but still bloody mucus in it.

8. jt and trouble (GA)

You havent introduced any new food have you?

9. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

No. One thing to add, is that we are dog sitting our friends dog.

10. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Peter,

If I were in this situation with my cat, I would stop the probiotic (it's a change to the diet) and speak to a vet ASAP to get advice on how urgently my cat would need to be examined. I would also collect a sample of the problem stool to take to the vet. If you look online for articles concerning blood and mucus in cat poop there are a range of conditions that might cause it, some of which may be very serious. It's not something I'd want to take any chances with were it my cat, hence why I'd want to get advice from a vet as early as possible on the best action to take.

Mogs

11. Critter Mom

If there's a risk Peeka may have eaten any of the dog's food then that's another thing to tell the vet about.

Mogs

12. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Highly unlikely, they’re on a scheduled feeding and there’s nothing left behind. No BM since this morning. Still acting normal, she just ate some more of her food (without probiotics). I left a VM for the vet on the emergency line to see what he thinks.

13. jt and trouble (GA)

Prayers for Peeka AND you peter.

14. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Update: vet called back and thinks as long as she is eating and not vomiting, that’s a good sign. They would like to get her in for tests, but thinks I’m ok to just monitor today. Also mentioned having another dog in the house may have something to do with her irregularities, as well as general GI issues with being a diabetic cat and having recently had pancreatitis.

sorry if my posts seem incoherent. I’m a rambling mess at the moment and so exhausted from the lack of sleep. Something I’m sure I’ll have to get used to with the baby.

15. Critter Mom

Relieved the vet got back to you with advice on what to do next and when, Peter.

I can relate to the running on fumes thang.

(((Peter and Peeka)))

Mogs

16. jt and trouble (GA)

What a relief. Get some rest Peter. :bighug:

17. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

No BMs in the last few hours, which I’m hoping is a somewhat good thing. She was yelling at my wife to feed her an hour ago, and she relented and gave a small handful to snack on. Hoping for more normal BMs tonight.

18. jt and trouble (GA)

Hoping for the same Peter...Peeka...you yell politely now. Behave yourself lil girl.:p

19. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

One can hope! The vet did mention it being possible that something got in her GI tract and was causing stomach issues. The bloody stuff we were seeing looked fresh, and according to some research he had done just means that it was in the rectum and not the stomach. Not sure if that’s true, but we shall see.

20. jt and trouble (GA)

Fingers and paws crossed.:bighug:

21. Critter Mom

Blood from the lower part of the GI tract is red. Blood from the upper part of the GI tract would show up looking like coffee grounds in the stool or as black tarry stools (digested blood).

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.