Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Good morning y’all, happy Saturday!

First, let me get the “negative” out of the way. Still not much progress in the way of Peekas neuropathy, it doesn’t look worse, just doesn’t look better. I’m hoping time and better BG levels will continue to fix that. I’m trying to be as good as I can on the days I can test to paint a better picture of her levels. Which brings me to the positive.

Last night at a +5 or +6, Peeka registered her first sub 200 reading and this morning, she was in the upper-mid 300s. Still not ideal, but hopefully something we can see continuing.

I’m not sure if diabetes gets better in stages, or what. But when my sister and I got home last night with some sausage from Bucee’s, she sprinted from the kitchen to the living room. It wasn’t graceful, but her attitude seems to be much better than it was a few weeks back. I don’t know if that’s a legitimate observation, or just wishful thinking on my end, but I do feel like her personality is 100% Peeka. Also, less of her at the water bowl which is promising, but she does devour her food,

Anyways, I hope everyone has a good Saturday and weekend!

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Ooh, Peeka! First paddle in the lagoon!! :cat: :cool:

By and large, you don't become diabetic overnight. It takes time to bring a kitty back into regulation.

It's also good news that Peeka is drinking less. The excessive thirst and hunger will reduce as her regulation improves. So will the neuropathy. Talking of which, as you know, I've been following Peeka's progress and what you're describing here about her 'inelegant sprint' sounds like a legitimate observation to me: in your early posts about Peeka's neuropathy I don't recall much sprinting going on.

Wishing yourself, Peeka, Boo, and Mrs. Peter a grand weekend. :)

Mogs

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Me n Zoe are dancing a jig Peter celebrating Peeka's slow but imminent recovery.

4. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Now that you mention it, I don’t recall her sprinting anywhere for anything. I’m hopeful it’s like I had mentioned earlier where her personality is starting to come back.

5. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

You’re running a great marathon Peter, keep it up! ;)

6. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but dose adjustments are a big part of regulation. I still suggest an increase by .25. You need to find the dose that’s going to be ideal for her and 3 seems to not be enough right now.

@Deb & Wink what are your thoughts?

7. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Somewhat of a rough not tonight with Peeks. Neuropathy was hitting hard for her, especially in her hind legs. Tonight it was evident she wasn’t making near as much progress as I would hope.

I can’t help but feeling down about seeing her hind legs start to give out on her again and her BG being where it was. Was also a rough night for testing, to no fault of Peeka. She was incredible in allowing me to get the tests. The highest I tested was a 378, the lowest I tested (my first test mind) was a 39, and I knew that couldn’t be the case. The second 2 came in at 309 and 378 respectively.

Sorry if these posts sometimes seem sad or down, I guess I can’t help but live in the moment and what I see and feel. If this is normal, please let me know. I know I get reassurance every day, but it feels like we have gone backwards here with no change taking place other than time passing.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Sorry you and Peeks are having a rough time. I can't give dosing advice but you may want to ask on your post about maybe an increase in Peeks dosage.
    You may want to consider switching over to Lantus.
    Vetsulin is actually suited more for dogs
    As for the neuropathy it is heartbreaking to see it.
    My cat had it and until I got his numbers regulated it didn't improve
    A lot of us here give B-12 methyl for the neuropathy .
    I will give you the link for it.
    Getting her diabetes under control plus the B-12 methyl will help.
    It took about 2 months before I saw an improvement.
    I would say Tyler has improved 99%
    In case you ever do decide to switch to Lantus, we purchase it from Marks Marine Pharmacy in Canada.
    It is expensive in the US, but so much cheaper from Canada.
    It does come in vials but you are better off buying the pack of 5 solostar pens.
    Each pen might last you for 6 months depending on your dose.
    With the pens we don't shoot using the pens because you can only increase or decrease by whole units.
    So you would need to buy U-100 syringes with half units markings
    I will give you the link for the vitamin -12 methyl

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Just saw that you already purchased the Vitacost lol

10. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I’m sorry Peter but I told you the reality is the neuropathy will only truly improve once the diabetes is regulated. That’s why I’m pushing you for a dose increase. Her nadir is still too high. And I also agree with Diane. I know we discussed it before and I think it’s time to switch to Lantus or prozync. You may see better results. Vetsulin is not ideal for cats. @Diane Tyler's Mom who are the Vetsulin experts that might help with dose advice? I tagged Janet but she never gave Peter any real dose advice. I’m also retagging @Deb & Wink even though I don’t think she’s a Vetsulin pro.

Peter, please post on the Vetsulin/caninsulin forum and ask for dose advice. According to our dosing protocols here, I’m pretty sure you need a dose increase after a week of not seeing the results you want. It’s heartbreaking I know but the only silver lining I can offer you is they she will recover, but you need to find the right dose and the right insulin for Peeka

11. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Just by what I know I agree with Ale. This dose has been held a long time. I know its scary when you guys cant be home. I would ask on the Vetsulin board to get confirmation or otherwise.

12. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

And you may want to get 1/2 unit marked syringes so it’s easier to get the .25 increments.

JT is right. It can be scary but that’s why we do .25 only. It’s not a huge increase like 1 unit and that helps prevent hypos and keep your cat safe!

13. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

And if that’s an issue, switching to a less harsh long lasting insulin is your best bet.

remember that the plan is also to test your other cat so you can transition them both from dry to wet food. That’s also going to significantly help the diabetes!

14. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

I posted a few days back and didn’t get a response there. I was unaware that the 150 was where she would be better regulated. I just saw numbers in the blue and got excited.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  15. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Ale, I am sorry but I can't help with dosing with Vetsulin, when Tyler was on it, Linda would help me everyday with dosing. To be honest I can't even remember how I adjusted his dosage. Linda hasn't been back here since Jan.
    I hope Peter gets some advice. Have a good day and give Minnie scritches for me :bighug::cat:

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  16. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

@Peter Ramos , the other issue I see is that you are feeding Peeka a high carb dry food.

Diabetic cats need a food that is <10% carbs, and the Royal Canin Hypoglycemic food is around 29-32% carbs. Not low carb at all.
    Will Peeka eat wet food at all?
    Have you tried these Transitioning Tips for Dry Food Addicts?

Wink was a hard case, to get him to switch from dry to wet food. I used all of these tips. But his BG numbers came down dramatically once the dry food was out of the picture. I tell people he was a founding member of DFAA, Dry Food Addicts Anonymous.

There really are no Vetsulin (Caninsulin) board members that post regularly. I know some things, but not the real ins and outs of that insulin.

Peeka's BG levels are high enough that you have room to increase the dose from 3 to 3.25U. I see that you already did that. Let's see how Peeka does on this dose increase.

17. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

I appreciate your insight. We just purchased Dr. Elseys, we will make the transition to wet food, there’s a 2nd diabetic cat in the house to consider though, who has been looking like his pre-diabetic self of late.

Peeka may be the most aggressive eater I’ve ever come across. She has been known to chew on paper when her food bowl was empty. Whether that was to get our attention, or to fill her stomach, I’m not sure. Either way, she would have her food bowl filled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.