Peeka Testing update 8/19

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Peter (Peeka&Boo), Aug 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Good afternoon everyone! Thank you for all of your help and support the last few days. We have taken our first steps with getting Peeka on the right track and started testing today. Unfortunately for sweet girl, I was unaware of how to work the tester after the first poke with the lancet... doesn’t change the fact that she did incredible! The second time around was a little bit more of a struggle, but she was still spectacular. Probably due to the amount of pets received before hand.

I’ve updated her SS, but +10 she was at 200. We did up her dosage last night, after the alarming numbers, I must admit, I took the advice of the vet and increased since we had good luck with Boo so far. (They are from the same litter, I know ECID, but I was hoping that there could be similarities.)

I’ll be able to collect data today during the PMPS, and also the following hours. The morning cycles will be a little more difficult to track with work, but I should be able to get at least 1-2 tests. I can’t thank everyone here enough for the encouragement. Peeka was even playing with the lancet while it was capped, small things, but those little playful moments are the reason I love her so much!

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Awwwwww shes on her way! Those "little things" will become huge ones. :bighug:

3. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Should i be concerned with the drastic change in numbers from yesterday and today? I know the numbers from yesterday at the vet may be higher due to stress, or should i continue with the higher recommended dose and keep an eye on her?

4. jt and trouble (GA)

I cannot give dosing advice but I know someone that can. @Deb & Wink
    Hold on she should be around soon. ;)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) likes this.
  5. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Peter and congrats on the testing success!!! Sounds like she’ll make things easier for you!

I’m no expert in Vetsulin but we do recommend in general with all insulins here that you only increase or decrease by .25 units not 1 full unit as I mentioned before. That’s what I suggested you didn’t increase before testing and getting BG readings. Cats tend to go lower overnight as well. Let’s see what Deb says I know @JanetNJ also has experience with Vetsulin

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  6. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Appreciate the insight. Her dinner time is coming up. We would normally give insulin around 7am and 8-9 pm, but it looks like every 12 hours would be best. So trying to stay on a 6am/6pm schedule, assuming life allows.

7. jt and trouble (GA)

Thanks Ale *waving*

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

The wife and I are also looking into low carb snacks to feed the cats after testings or as treats. Any recommendations?

9. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Btw, the most important is amps and pmps then maybe one shot midday and a +2 at night so you’ll totally fine! You don’t need a curve every day :smuggrin:

10. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Just remember test, feed, then give insulin.
    Also if you know you’re gonna have to be an hour late on Saturday let’s say, you can start to push the times by 15 minutes every cycle till you get to an hour. It’s really important to stick to 12 hours. An hour early can act as a dose increase and an hour late can act like a dose decrease :nailbiting:

11. jt and trouble (GA)

Purebites is a fave around here Bonito flakes ...

12. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Btw the 200 at +10 is a great number. She should go up more in the next 2 hours leading up to the pmps. I’d check the +2 after that for sure to make sure she’s not dropping too low

13. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Yes I second those. Also VitalEssentials. Minnie loves the minnows. And Purebite shrimps. Both cats go crazy for them. Bobo would inhale them if he could lol

14. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Actually with Vetsulin you’ll probably be fine doing amps, +2, pmps, and +2 again since it peaks so early. Let’s see what @JanetNJ thinks :)

Deb & Wink likes this.
  15. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

So I know i messed up a little, maybe it was out of panic and wanting to get a PMPS read. Peeks was less than cooperative this time and I wound up letting her have a few bites of food as a make do while I got a proper reading. For whatever reason i wasn’t able to get enough blood for a reading the first time or two, and the time it did give me a reading, it gave me a 22, but there was so little blood on there, I was shocked it gave me a reading at all. When I did it a second time, it gave me a 249, which I have updated on the spreadsheet. (This is also before any shots, so there’s no way she could have read as a 22, right?

16. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I tend to agree. I think the 22 was a fluke especially if she’s behaving fine. She’d be in a comma with that low number so 249 seems right. If she eats and you test right away it should also be fine as the food needs at least a good 20-30 minutes to be digested and affect the BG. all is well that ends well. Sometimes I have to try 3-4 times to get a reading and I’ve been at this for months.

when you get too little blood, try to “milk the ear” to get more out. Like gently squeezing a pimple only you’re aiming for the prick to get more blood out. Or if you have to prick with the lancet again try to do it on the same spot to create a slightly larger hole. Sometimes it’s a bloodbath over here, sometimes it’s not enough. It happens!

Deb & Wink and Peter (Peeka&Boo) like this.
  17. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Was the ear warm to the touch? It makes all the difference in the world for me as far as getting a decent size droplet

Deb & Wink likes this.
  18. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

I honestly can’t remember, I was too concerned about juggling everything else. It can seem like a lot honestly.

19. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

+2s can give a heads-up of a big drop but it's not likely to be the nadir. Testing at +3 is a good test to get on each cycle if possible.

Mogs

20. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

It does but it will get easier as you get used to it. Warm rice filled sock in microwave for about 20-30 seconds (while this is going I typically get lancet and test strip ready), hold sock against her ear for about 15-30 seconds (here is where I sing a lullaby to calm all of us involved), prick ear, get blood and reading, give Peeka her much deserved treat. It takes me less than 5 minutes now that I’ve got it down and Minnie cooperates. You’ll get there too!

Peter (Peeka&Boo) likes this.
  21. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Sounds good!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  22. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Testing +3 at night is definitely doable. May have to stick with +2 in the AM during the workdays. Wound up sticking with just slightly under 3u tonight. Peeka and Boo are lounging around right now. Going to get that +3 and update. I will admit, seeing so much stuff about hypo does have me nervous now.

23. Critter Mom

That's ideal, Peter. The PM+3 is a great BG to catch because most cats run lower at night. It will either give you peace of mind for the whole night, or flag up that you need to monitor Peeka if she's running a little lower than expected.

Mogs

24. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Sounds good! What would be a comfortable range to get a good nights sleep lol.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  25. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

26. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Just finished the +3 testing. She’s at 244. Not sure if I’m doing something wrong, but it feels like that number should be lower given her +10 from the AM shot. Idk, going to let her rest tonight and go again tomorrow. She has been through the ringer today.

Deb & Wink and Critter Mom like this.
  27. jt and trouble (GA)

Zoe turned her cute little nose up at them and sauntered away.:rolleyes:o_O:banghead:

28. Critter Mom

Well done, Peeka and Peter. It will get easier. :)

Maybe. Maybe not.

How long has the vial of Vetsulin been on the go? Is your fridge working OK? Could you perhaps have done a furshot?

Lets see how you get on tomorrow.

Mogs

29. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

She could be bouncing from going too low yesterday before that +10. Much lower just means lower than her body is used to. Did you get an amps today? As far as the dose, try to keep it consistent otherwise the numbers will be all over the place and you won’t know what dose is working. Btw, do you have 1/2 unit marked syringes? Since we do adjustments by .25, the 1/2 unit syringes are helpful but I assume you’re using U40 right?

30. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/peeka-8-20.233878/#post-2615523

Posted the update in a new thread. Not sure if that's allowed, but I want there to be some separation, and I've seen in the past that's what people have done. I believe my syringe only has markings for every 1 unit. As far as dosage goes, It's still right at/near 3u. She was acting fine afterwards, last night she would walk around to get some water or find new spots to lounge, this morning, more of the same. She was agitated with me, so she went to her favorite spot under the living room table to get away from the testing (+2 this morning only)

31. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

As soon as you use your syringes up try and get the ones with half unit markings like Ale suggested, it does make it easier then you have to increase or decrease by 0.25 units

32. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Starting a new thread every day is perfect. I believe there are 1/2 marked U40 syringes if you want to look at a place like ADW Diabetics.

33. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Sounds good, I just picked up another box from the vet yesterday, actually. I hadn't considered getting some with the half markings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.