Peeka PMPS 195

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Peter (Peeka&Boo), Nov 19, 2020.

1. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Hoping to get some dosing help, currently stalling, we’ve never had a pre shot number in the blues before.

Shelley & Jess and Deb & Wink like this.
  2. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

20 minute stall, up to 206

3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Not particularly low, but yes it's lower than you have gotten before.
    Here in the Prozinc ISG, we use 150 as the "stall" and retest BG number.
    Doesn't ever hurt to test again, especially when you get a pre-shot test (or any cycle test) that is lower than you have gotten before.
    Remember that meter variance, when comparing numbers. Meters are allowed to be 10-15% different from test to test and still be considered accurate enough.

I think you are ok to give the full shot, if you haven't already.
    Monitor like you normally do in the PM cycle.

Will Peeka eat wet food at all?
    That will act faster to bring the BG levels up, in case they drop below 90 mg/dL.
    90 is still safe, but it helps if you can get Peeka to eat and keep the BG numbers in the greens. "Surfing" we call it, when you are holding the numbers steady in the middle of the cycle.

Dry food takes longer to see any effects. It has to get wet, and break down in the stomach before the food hits the blood stream and provides some needed glucose.

4. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Thanks, Deb. I’m just a bit nervous since it is a fair amount lower than we’ve ever gotten. For some reason, I have it in my head 150 is a target number, but my wife was pointing out that we would like to be closer to 80-90 range per the Prozinc Dosing methods page. Since I’m the one mostly monitoring, I just wanted to be on the safe side. I settled on 2u as opposed to the full 3 today. I really appreciate your insight.

Next time I will have more confidence giving the full dose. I’m still trying to get used to Prozinc dosing methods since with Vetsulin, I believe the stall number is 200.

5. Deb & Wink

Yes, Vetsulin has a different "stall and retest" pre-shot number than Prozinc does.
    NPH insulins have an even higher stall number.

Your wife is correct, that you are aiming for 80-90 for a low during the cycle. For now, you can slowly get there. Changes don't happen overnight - usually.
    So no worries on reducing the dose to 2U for this evening.
    Don't forget to get that dose on the SS for this PM, 11/19/20.

6. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Just went and updated the spreadsheet, I agree, it would be sort of daunting getting those lower numbers that quickly, that’s why I was panicked! I’ll continue keeping an eye on her throughout the night though, just in case.

Deb & Wink and Shelley & Jess like this.
  7. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

+3 down to 89

8. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

+4 71, just fed her a little bit of wet food since I’m a little nervous lol.

9. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Thank you for your assistance last night @Deb & Wink i wound up giving Peeka some wet food which I think played a factor in her BG rising as quickly as it did. I’ll admit, I got a little panicked seeing such low numbers so suddenly. A little bit of a bounce this morning, but overall, Peeka is happy. She spent almost all night in bed with us so that made a very happy cat and cat dad.

10. Deb & Wink

Peter, those low BG numbers last night actually earned Peeka a dose reduction, according to our SLGS prozinc dosing protocol. Yes, the BG numbers were higher this morning, likely from Peeka's body overreacting to the lows last night, 11/19/20. As you said, a bounce this AM 11/20/20.

You did a good job managing the lows with wet food. Way to go!

I'd recommend that you lower the dose to 2.75U for now, and hold that steady until Peeka's BG numbers tell you otherwise.

I know this can be difficult for you to manage, with your multiple jobs keeping you away some evenings. Plus, you said you didn't want your pregnant wife to have to test.

Peter (Peeka&Boo) likes this.
  11. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

So last nights dose was done using 2u since she was abnormally low. I can go back to 2.75u moving forward and hold that dose. My wife has actually had more comfortability testing recently. I don’t know she’d be able to do a complete curve, but she’s at least willing to get the PMPS now!

12. Deb & Wink

Um, I thought you were going to go back to 2.75U? But your SS says 3U for today 11/21/20, both AM and PM doses.

It's really helpful to have someone else that can also test.