Peeka 8/31 +2 127!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Peter (Peeka&Boo), Aug 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Good morning everyone,

A small ray of sunshine this morning as Peekas +2 came in at 127. I gave her some food just now and my sister will be home today to help keep an eye on things. Seems to be a pretty heavy swing this morning, not sure if it’s something to worry about.

anyways, I’ll be home fairly earlier than usual today to keep an eye on things. Her walk has improved by about 1% since upping her dose last night, it’s not AS painful to watch, still not fun though.

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Always give the new dose a chance to work. ;)

unless of course its too much:oops:

3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

That is a big drop! Glad you gave her a snack, hopefully that will buffer her a bit going forward.

Can your sister or you test at +3? You don't want Peeka going much lower than this on Vetsulin.

4. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Probably unlikely, she’s over to help with the people fixing our floors and she’s untrained with testing so far. I told her to keep and eye on her and to give her another treat or so throughout the day until I get home.

5. Nan & Amber (GA)

OK, glad there will be someone there. When will you get home?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  6. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

4 hours. Apparently she has been acting normal. Sleeping in her favorite spot, my sister gave her some purebites and a couple of temptations for good measure. I know they're not great, but I do feel somewhat bad about her +2 being that low. I know this insulin is very fast acting, just surprised to see it that low, that quick. I suppose that's what these spreadsheets are for!

7. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Tomorrow I will try and get her +3 in the morning. Mondays are just a beating for testing because I have to be at work so early. I'm trying to be more intentional about her testing, so if that means waking up a little bit earlier to get it done, then so be it.

8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Would your sister be willing to learn how to test, Peter?

BG levels can really plummet on Vetsulin. Sometimes when cats get into better ranges it can become impossible to administer safely. In such circumstances, even if the preshot BG is somewhere in orbit the tiniest droplet can be enough to completely tank BG numbers. (I speak from experience.)

Mogs

9. Nan & Amber (GA)

No, in this situation, they're a good idea. They're pretty carb-y, so it's like a little insurance policy for Peeka.

That said, don't be surprised if she's sky-high by the time you get home, not from those extra carbs but from her numbers today. Diabetic cats can "bounce" up from steep drops (which she had this morning), not just deep lows.

I agree that having another person testing would be great. Looking at the spreadsheet, I wouldn't be surprised if Peeka has done this kind of thing before, undetected.

10. Critter Mom

Agree wholeheartedly, Nan.

Mogs

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  11. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

She may be willing, her and Peeka are kindred spirits of sorts. She doesn’t spend every weekend with us, it’s just worked out that way recently since she manages the 2nd job I work at, and her not having a car recently has made her come stay with us more.

12. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

I appreciate this information, I know if I saw a higher than normal number I would probably be upset all over again. I’m wondering if I should start getting +2 or +3 tests in the PM with Peeka. I feel like I’ve done well with +4 testing, wondering if I should fill in others? That said, I’m planning on running a curve on her next Monday since we will be off.

13. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Peeka Update: My sister reported that after a nap with Boo and Spike (our dog) she woke up to Peeka lounging in the living room as usual. When she heard the bag of temptations, she jumped onto the ottoman, and made the leap from one to the other. Feels like I'm living and dying in the moment, but it makes me happy to hear that. Charlotte and I are trying to figure out how/when to switch insulins. I have read a lot of people saying Lantus and Marks Pharmacy in Canada. I will be posting a separate thread at some point regarding transitioning the diet and insulin, possibly for both cats and not just Peeka. I just want to make sure dosage isn't an issue, but hopefully with the transition to dry food, that could help things.

14. Nan & Amber (GA)

Atta girl!!!!!!!

15. jt and trouble (GA)

:woot: Celebrate the small victories!:cool:

Peter (Peeka&Boo) likes this.
  16. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Last update for the day. Peeka’s +3 PM came in at 201. I’m wondering if her nadir is around +2-+3? I’m going to start getting some testing closer to that time to get a better read on that. I was trying to get +4 before but maybe she is metabolizing things quicker.

Wife and I are discussing diet change and how that is going to happen with both the cats. Will definitely need some advice this week when we get to that. Peeks was still walking wobbly tonight. Not sure if it’s normal but it seems like as the insulin wears off, her walk becomes worse. Maybe a change in diet will assist as the numbers come down a bit more due to less carbs.

Hope everyone has a great night, look forward to chatting with you all tomorrow!

Quick edit: Just spoke with my sister and she said she’d be willing to learn how to test Peeka and help out on days she’s around and I can’t get a proper test!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    Reason for edit: Add info
  17. Critter Mom

Brilliant news about your sister, Peter! Sending her one of these: >>> :bighug:

Mogs

Peter (Peeka&Boo) likes this.
  18. jt and trouble (GA)

Hey Peter?
    Please give your sister a BIG :bighug: from all of us!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.