Pancreatitis and lost. Again.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by davidscat, Mar 19, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidscat

davidscat Member

I haven't posted in some time as I finally overcame my phobia about giving injections and Snowy had been doing reasonably well since.

Snowy had his first flareup of pancreatitis back in November and was hospitalized for about 3 days, but he recovered nicely and has been ok until the past couple of weeks. He isn't eating predictably although he usually drinks water, he kind of mopes around, and his poop is a bit on the soft side. Recently the vet did blood work which came back fine, but the pancreatitis test was positive although I don't know what the exact numbers were.

The vet administers a Cerenia injection for nausea, oral Metronidazole for pain, and I apply Miritaz as needed, although the Miritaz often drives him to hyper-eat so I'm reluctant to use it except as a last resort.

I feel completely lost and think perhaps there is something I should be doing beyond what I've described. I would appreciate any advise.

Johann_marcel likes this.
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

This is our Primer on Pancreatitis. It will walk you through what you can do to manage Snowy's symptoms.

FWIW, Metronidazole is not a pain medication. It's an antibiotic and not one that I've generally seen prescribed for pancreatitis. I would ask your vet for buprenorphine for pain. The Cerenia may also be helping with inflammation. Cerenia is good for nausea. It's often used in combination with another anti-nausea medication, ondansetron. They work differently and can be used together.

3. davidscat

davidscat Member

I looked again and the pain med is Buprinoprhine, not Metronidazole as I stated. I've got one loaded oral syringe, but with my tremor I'd likely get it into the cat's nose rather than his mouth. I might have better luck with pills if any of the meds are available in pill form. I'd just like to get a better handle on all this. I'll look over the primer. Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.