OTJ and STOPPED EATING !!

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Kristine, Feb 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristine

Kristine Member

Hi all.... My big boy Christopher has been OTJ for about 9 months now. I check his BG at least once a week and he is usually between 70 and 125 so i havent been giving insulin. My problem is for the past 3 days he has been not quite himself and day before yesterday he stopped wanting to eat his wet food ( which he LOVES). He has ALWAYS been the first cat of all of mine to race to the food dish. Now he will ONLY eat the dry food that I have on hand for when his BG gets too low. Should I be worried?? Please advise.

Thanks in advance. Kris

2. Kristine

Kristine Member

AND as an aside.... are there ANY low carb/high protein dry foods that are acceptable to give to him if thats ALL he is willing to eat right now? Thanks again...

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

4. Kristine

Kristine Member

Once again he only ate dry kibble.... his BG was 69 before feeding so I dont think thats the problem. However none of my cats are eating the food so tomorrow I am going to go and get something else at the pet store. I read that EVO dry is the best if he will only eat dry. I am switching out the 9 lives for the non diabetic cats to friskies and going to buy some other fancy feasts for Christopher. Wish me luck.

5. Kristine

Kristine Member

Went to the store and got ALOT of different foods to try. Opened 4 different cans and NO INTEREST at all. He again ate a tiny bit of kibble and licked at some tuna but didnt eat it.

HELP?

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Kristine, this forum is not very active so I would suggest you post over on the Health board to get more eyes on your post if you need further assistance/suggestions.

In the meantime, if Christopher hasn't eaten for 2 days it would be a good idea to have the vet check him over. Cats cannot go more than a couple of days without eating or they risk developing hepatic lipidosis which can be serious and very expensive to treat. Better to have him checked out than to risk him getting very sick.

Try warming his food because sometimes that will enhance the smell. You could also try some all meat baby food but make sure it doesn't have any onions or garlic in it. Right now I would feed him anything he will eat and you can get him back on an appropriate diet when he is feeling better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.