? OT: Question about syringes/needles for B12 injections?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Amanda and a Loudogg, Oct 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Hiya everyone!
    This question is actually for my civvie, who has exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) and a severe B12 deficiency. I've been buying the syringes and needles from the vet for the B12 injections, but I'm sure I could find them cheaper elsewhere. My vet has me using 1 mL syringes and separate needles (22G for drawing the B12 into the syringe and 23G for administering the dose).

For those of you who give B12 injections to your kitties, what are you using for syringes/needles? And just out of curiosity, does your vet have you using different/separate needles for the injection?

Thanks in advance!!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

I don’t do that at all. I use the syringe and draw the b12 with it. I use the 1mls and draw up 25 units for each shot

3. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

I used separate needles of different sizes for drawing and for shooting of B12. It’s been a few years so I can’t remember why or what gauge they were. But I do remember asking the vet why I needed separate needles at the time and that what he said made sense. I also remember negotiating a needle size the next gauge up for the shooting. Those needles are so huge compared to an insulin syringe!

4. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

I use u-100 insulin syringes to give B-12 cyanocobalamin injections to my cats. You just have to support the side of the needle with your finger as you insert it into the rubber stopper on the bottle because the rubber is thicker than that of an insulin vial, so it’s easier to bend the needle. I use insulin needles because I have them on hand, they work fine, and are inexpensive.

You can also use regular (non-insulin) syringes, as you’ve been doing. I’m wondering if the vet has you using 22 gauge to draw the B12 because it’s larger gauge and less likely to bend (and might draw the B-12 out of the bottle slightly faster?), and 23 gauge to inject because it’s smaller and might go through the cat’s skin easier and hurt less. I’ve never had a vet suggest doing the different needle sizes but I’d be interested in the answer should you ask him/her.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  5. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

You have jogged my memory, that was the reason given by my vet for the larger needle for drawing. Hence able to negotiate a smaller needle/larger gauge than he first suggested for shooting. I’m not sure if I’m making this next bit up but is the b12 also a thicker fluid than insulin hence he still had me using a large needle for shooting. I do remember that was the smallest needle he agreed to give me for shooting. But possibly that was because it was the smallest size that would fit the syringe I was using to draw o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.