? OT- Katie had 8 teeth extracted, Question about signs of infection?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by katiesmom, Aug 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

Sweet Katie had 8 teeth extracted on Monday. The vet did not have her on antibiotics before the dental, even though I asked her for them (long story, new vet.....)

Anyway, I started her antibiotics Tuesday evening ( I couldn't pill her immediately, she wasn't having it, try pilling a cat with a sore mouth).
    She ate normal amounts of food on Monday and Tuesday. Yesterday (Wednesday) she started leaving a little bit of food on her plate, now this morning, I could barely get her to eat.

I dont know if it's her mouth or the antibotics causing her to lose her appetite. She has had this antibiotic before without incidence. Like I said, she was eating ok the first two days. What would be the other signs of infection? I certainly cant see in her mouth for swelling or anything like that.

I know I could take her back to vet, I am trying to spare her the stress of that if possible.

2. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Poor little girl. I am surprised they did not give the antibiotic shot that lasts 2 weeks so you would not need to pill her. I hope they gave you pain meds? Pain in mouth would certainly cause not wanting to eat also.

Did they give you an instruction sheet with what to watch for? You could call and ask them. Since she was eating initially and this is new, probably would be good to call and ask to speak to a tech at least, they may have some insight.

3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

What's the name of the antibiotic? Some are more likely than others to cause nausea, you can ask the vet about that, but if she's had this before without incident it seems less likely. I would definitely give them a call in any case.

Is she licking her lips, or approaching the food and then turning away? Both are signs of nausea.

Is she pawing at her mouth at all, or showing any other signs of discomfort there? Did they take x-rays after the extractions to make sure there were no stray fragments? Eight teeth is a lot (poor little girl), just healing up with no complications will take some time, but I would defintely call the vet to alert them that she's going off her food-- if there are any complications, you want to address them quickly.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Did she had have pain medicine and a anti-inflammatory the first few days? If so, did stopping those correspond with when she stopped eating? Some antibiotics cause nausea (Clavamox does for Willow). Taking Cerenia while on them might help her.

Have you noticed any bleeding or swelling (around the mouth area)?

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Antibiotics can kill the good tummy flora and make her feel unwell. Probiotics, given a couple hours apart, can help. I also used a liquid version of antibiotic after extraction as it was easier to giver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.