OT Color change

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Olive & Paula, Dec 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Coming to the best source I know.

Civvie Tux who is a tuxedo cat, almost 10 yrs old, black fur is turning red/brown or rusty. Has anyone who asked found out why this happened?

He was dx with triaditis in September which has resolved according to recent ultrasound and labs.

I have done a search but no one reported finding out why. I have sent the photos to the vet. Waiting on feedback.

Left side
    20211222_142933.jpg

Right Side
    20211222_143112_0.jpg

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Max also turned reddish but not from the sun.

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I just went through this as well, few possible causes:
    Sun exposure

Systemic stresses (so the triaditis could check that box)

Variety of vitamin/mineral deficiencies like tyroxine, cobalamin, etc

Liver, thyroid, kidney, GI diseases

In my case we did the standard senior blood panel, plus a GI panel. The senior panel showed elevated liver values, and unfortunately the GI panel showed either IBD or SCL (biopsy is only way to confirm and for many reasons I won't anesthetize him just for that right now). It also showed low folate levels. He also has had recurrence of chylothorax so systemic stress as well

5. Denver & Magic (GA)

Denver & Magic (GA) Member

Magic’s coat did this as well. Vet said in his case it was due to lying on the carpet in the sun and him getting older. He said to think of it as his version of getting gray hair.

6. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

How quickly does a cat's hair grow? I would think if it was a health problem it would start at the roots. Isn't keratin beyond the follicle dead anyway?
    I have seen copper deposits form in a cat's eyes which I was told was harmless.

7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I talked with vet. She isn't to concerned. Never mention sun. We do get sun in the windows but windows have the uv coating on them. It can't be enough as house plants suffer in our house. I mentioned my concerns about vitamin or nutritional deficiency. She doesn't think it's that either. However. In Feb we will do epi, Folate, cobalamin, b12 levels. We will do it in February and do dental at same time since he has to be fasting. I again mentioned how thin he feels. Going to weigh him every week, keep giving ondansteron, she thinks he will need it indefinitely. Basically just keep an eye on him and track weight, food intake and behavior.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.