Oscar's Thread

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Oscar and Carrie, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Oscar and Carrie

Oscar and Carrie Member

Hi everyone,

First post here, though I have been posting a bit on the FB group. Really glad to have found this group and it's definitely making the management of Oscar's diabetes a little less daunting!

I'm just after a bit of insight into his BG numbers today. Still new to this and trying to better understand the trends.

I reduced his dose of ProZinc down from 1.5 to 1.25 two days ago after a nadir of 2.8, and yesterday was much better.

This morning his AMPS was 10.6, the lowest it's been since I started testing, so I checked again after 20 mins and it had gone to 12.0.

Because this was still lower than I was used to, I gave a slightly reduced dose (a touch over 1 unit), and then throughout the day his numbers have stayed relatively flat and in the pink. 21.9 @ +3, 19.6 @ +5 and 19.8 @ +7.

Is this a sign that the reduced dose of just over 1 unit was too little, and that the 1.25 would have likely to have been safe with an AMPS of 10.6?

Thank you for any info :)

2. Oscar and Carrie

Oscar and Carrie Member

Hello, please can someone advise about a below 8.3mmol/L AMPS.

I've just tested Oscar this morning at it is at 5.9. I'm going to retest in 20 mins.

If it is closer to 8, should I give his full 1.25u dose of ProZinc, or give a token dose? I'm still not very confident when it comes to these lower pre-shot numbers.

3. Oscar and Carrie

Oscar and Carrie Member

I've just retested after 25 mins and got a 6.1, so not much of an increase.

4. Oscar and Carrie

Oscar and Carrie Member

I decided to give him his normal dosage this morning and will do a curve throughout the day to see how he reacts.
    I've just done a +2 and it is at 6.4

5. Oscar and Carrie

Oscar and Carrie Member

Please can someone advise as it is now at 3.0 @ 3.3
    I will retest in 20 mins

6. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Answered on Feline Health. And since I already did that :rolleyes:, for anyone reading this here in Prozinc, please answer over there so we can keep things in one place so it doesn't get too confusing!

Deb & Wink and Shelley & Jess like this.
  7. Oscar and Carrie

Oscar and Carrie Member

Just wanted to share that I'm super happy this evening with Oscar's numbers! It's the first time since I started testing (and I imagine since he's been on insulin from mid-Jan) that his numbers have been within a decent range.
    I think the pre-shot numbers are probably still a bit too high, but this is a huge improvement from where we were last week, and feeling a bit more positive that we might be able to get this under control :)

Deb & Wink and Pookie (GA) like this.
  8. Oscar and Carrie

Oscar and Carrie Member

Morning everyone :)

Day three for Oscar on 0.5u and fingers crossed, the numbers have so far been pretty consistent.

What would next steps be in terms of monitoring? Hold the dose for a week, and then run a curve?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  9. Oscar and Carrie

Oscar and Carrie Member

I definitely spoke too soon! His +5 during the AM cycle was higher than expected, and I've just done a +3 for his PM cycle and it's 3.6...

Some high carb wet food given, will monitor over the next few hours, and looks like a decrease down to 0.25u from tomorrow morning.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  10. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

My oh my! Oscar just keeps earning those dose reductions, one right after the other.
    You might want to practice a 0.1U dose, for the future. Oscar is not quite ready for that tiny dose, but that will be the next step after the 0.25U dose you are going to reduce him to.

Oscar and Carrie likes this.
  11. Oscar and Carrie

Oscar and Carrie Member

Thanks Deb!
    A 0.1u dose of ProZinc is 0.25 on the U100 syringe, is that right?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  12. Deb & Wink

that is correct.
    You might want to practice with some colored water or juice first.

Here is a picture of a U100 syringe, with the 0.1U dose drawn up. These pictures are of syringes that have the 1/2 unit markings on the barrel.
    01unit-1.jpg

p.s. Would you please update your SS the next time you are in there, and correct the date. You have 2 3/9/21 dates. Thought you were missing data for today, until I took a closer look. I was "seeing double".;)

Oscar and Carrie likes this.
  13. Oscar and Carrie

Oscar and Carrie Member

Thanks for the image Deb, that's handy to refer to.

I've also updated the SS again. I usually add the date first thing in the morning when I'm still trying to wake up ha :banghead:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  14. Deb & Wink

Haven't had your first :coffee: yet? Perfectly understandable.

Stole, I mean "copied" the pictures from this Sticky thread at the top of the forum. The pictures in that sticky are for U100 syringes, but the concept for plunger placement is the same for U40 syringes.
    Sticky INSULIN CARE AND SYRINGE INFO Proper Handling and Drawing

p.s. Nice string of blues today for Oscar.

15. Oscar and Carrie

Oscar and Carrie Member

Morning all,

Oscar has been on his 0.25u dose now for a week and a half, and his numbers seem to be fairly stable. I've also now switched over to the GlucoNavii meter and it has been very reliable so far.

I've started to do a weekly urine test for ketones, and both so far have come up as negative, though urinary glucose remains high (I'm not sure how long it takes for there to not be any glucose in the urine once regulated?)

The vets reviewed his numbers on Friday, and they are very happy with how he is doing. They have advised to maintain this dose for another two weeks, to do weekly curves and then they will consider reducing his dosage.

How long does it take for the effects of diabetes to be reversed in a cat once you're able to maintain their BG in the appropriate range? Or is that like asking how long is a piece of string! :D

Deb & Wink likes this.
  16. Deb & Wink

It's more like "which piece of string" you are talking about.

17. Oscar and Carrie

Oscar and Carrie Member

As usual, I spoke too soon :(

Oscar's pre-shot numbers have been all over the place the last few days, and I'm just wondering if people with a bit more experience can help interpret them.

I guess it could be that the dosage is too high, and I'm not catching the lows when I test causing him to bounce,

Or,

The dosage is not enough and he's starting to go back up? However if this was the case would I not likely see much higher readings through the day as well?

I will try and get some more readings later in the cycle to see that is when he is dropping. I'm annoyed I didn't get them today, as I think his +6 may have just been elevated a bit by his dinner a few hours before.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  18. Deb & Wink

Food usually clears the system and the BG levels go lower around +3 to +4 if there is enough insulin.
    So I don't think Oscar eating a couple of hours before the +6 made the difference you are seeing.

19. Oscar and Carrie

Oscar and Carrie Member

Does it seem likely then that he needs a dose increase up to 0.5 or should I wait it out a few more days? He's had another high reading for his AMPS :(

Deb & Wink likes this.
  20. Oscar and Carrie

Oscar and Carrie Member

I'm going to do a bit of an experiment. His numbers increasing coincide with him being fed from the Poultry selection, whereas last week when he had better numbers he was on fish.
    I'll go back to fish for the next few days and see if the numbers start to go down again to try and rule out this being diet-related.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  21. Pabs&Ro

Pabs&Ro Member

What a beauty Oscar is. See you are just down the road from me! We are in Chester UK. In my experience the foods with fish in have a higher carb value than those without. Maybe worth just double checking. :)

Oscar and Carrie and Deb & Wink like this.
  22. Deb & Wink

Some cats actually do BETTER with a food that is a bit higher in carbs.

23. Oscar and Carrie

Oscar and Carrie Member

It's hard to actually find out the difference between them.
    The values listed on Sheba's website are different than listed on my multi-pack boxes, and the numbers are the same for both poultry and fish regardless.

Assuming inorganic matter is Ash, according to the info on my multi-pack boxes here is the analysis of the food:
    upload_2021-3-25_7-4-1.png
    and based on the values on Sheba's website they are both this:
    upload_2021-3-25_7-5-52.png
    I will just have to try and see how Oscar reacts differently to both. He had a tuna pack yesterday evening and his AM pre-shot is back to his "normal" range after 3 cycles of being high. May just be a coincidence right now but will keep him on fish varieties for a few days to see if he remains low.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  24. Pabs&Ro

Pabs&Ro Member

I write to food companies as ask them. Point out any discrepancies. I always get a reply but not always helpful. Might be worth a try?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  25. Deb & Wink

Yes, it may be worth a try.

26. Oscar and Carrie

Oscar and Carrie Member

Just updating on Oscar!

I've been starting to mix in Feringa cat food with his Sheba over the past few days, and his pre-shot number is starting to come down a little, from the mid-pinks to mid to high yellows. Small change but a step in the right direction.

@Pabs&Ro is coming to the rescue tomorrow :) and I'll be picking up another vial from her, to rule out an issue with the insulin so it may be that I need to drop him back down to 0.25 again from tomorrow.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021